#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

Ok so I was looking back at my brew logs and the first beer I made was called "Light" Well it was probably the 2nd or 3rd after a few crappy Mr. Beer cans. I remember being excited about the taste of this beer b/c before I had been drinking that old LME brew that Mr. Beer provides. It's really funny to look back on my craptastic notes for probably the first 6 months of brewing. Mind you at this point I was still fermenting in the Mr. Beer thing which I would say is about 2.2 gallons. Here are my great notes for this one:1 1/2 cup Muntons Light DME28 g Crystal Grain (light)2 cups Corn SugarHalf pouch Mt. Hood Hops (.5 oz)Half pouch Cluster Hops Windsor Dry YeastSo after doing a little research an estimate is 3 cups = 1 pound of DME/Sugar. I plugged the stuff into ProMash and came up with an OG of 1.048I have no idea at what point in the boil I added the hops. If I added them at 60 min that would be 60+ IBUs and I dont remember the beer being that hoppy. So i am just going to assume I did 60 and 30. Probably around 40 IBUsI am in my lighter summer beer kick now and thought hey why don't I try an "Ode to my first brew" by formulating an all-grain 5 gallon recipe to that first one. I first came up with:6.5 lbs 2row3.25 lbs Crystal 10but thought that may be a little too much crystal, probably shouldn't go above 20% so decided to add some Pils in the mix to somewhat replicate the corn sugar (not really but you get the idea) This beer was pretty dry so I will probably mash around 148-149So here's what I came up with:5 lbs Pils2.75 lbs 2row1.5 lb Crystal 10Cluster and Mt. Hood to get me around 40 IBUSo just looking for some of the brewing minds around here to look it over and post some critique.

#2 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

I brewed one similar to your recipe--- I wanted to make a pale ale but was almost out of pale malt and had to use mostly pilsner.It turned out nice and light but the hops and malt weren't very balanced ( bad efficiency)---needed more malt to balance the hops but I like hoppy so I didn't mind.Your recipe looks pretty balanced to me...brew it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users