#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Supposed to be on thursday on the history channel so my e-mail says.History Channel has a segment on commercial keg repair, and a hop stringing video also.HOPS DIRECT ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL"FOOD TECH" Bobby Bognar from the "FOOD TECH" is traveling America to deconstruct our favorite meals and reveal the history of how our favorite meals came together. The Puterbaugh Farms was picked to represent "Hot Dog's & Beer" segment for the show breaking down the favorite meal of many ballparks. Join us as we celebrate the food & brewing industries of our country on the "FOOD TECH" show that will be focusing on Puterbaugh Farm for it's great history of growing hops! We are super excited for you to learn more about the great history of hops and our farm! The "Hot Dog's & Beer" segment will be shown Thursday April 1rst on the History Channel 9 EST. Check out the Puterbaugh Farm at: www.history.com.

#2 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Thanks man! DVR set.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Nice thanks for the heads up. I saw Hopsdirect had something to this effect on their website newsletter. Will have to catch this show when its on Thurs. Some cool videos on history.com website as well.

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

Just got my order of Magnum and Cascade last week from these guys. Great Co. to do business with.

#5 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

Does anybody know how much a pound of hops from hopsdirect to upstate new york would approximately cost to ship? thanks.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Got this email from Puterbaugh Farms/HopsDirect today:

Bobby Bognar from the "FOOD TECH" is traveling America to deconstruct our favorite meals and reveal the history of how our favorite meals came together. The Puterbaugh Farms was picked to represent "Hot Dog's & Beer" segment for the show breaking down the favorite meal of many ballparks. Join us as we celebrate the food & brewing industries of our country on the "FOOD TECH" show that will be focusing on Puterbaugh Farm for it's great history of growing hops! We are super excited for you to learn more about the great history of hops and our farm! The "Hot Dog's & Beer" segment will be shown Thursday April 1rst on the History Channel 9 EST.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

Does anybody know how much a pound of hops from hopsdirect to upstate new york would approximately cost to ship? thanks.

Go to the UPS website and do a tracking from Mabton Washington to your city and that will give you an approximate idea. They normally charge you less than UPS quotes too.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I would call or email. If it's not their busy season they respond quickly. My last order of around 5# there wasn't a charge - why, I have no idea but I have bought quite a bit from them for a homebrewer.

#9 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

It's also on 4 hours later if you missed it or have DVR conflicts.

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

:)

#11 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

I dont' think I'll ever buy elsewhere. Last time I went to LHBS, an ounce was $4. I bought 5# from Hopsdirect for $50. I like supporting the local economy as much as the next guy, but I'm not paying the equivalent of more than 5x the price.Haven't brewed with them, but plan on it soon!

#12 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

I dont' think I'll ever buy elsewhere. Last time I went to LHBS, an ounce was $4. I bought 5# from Hopsdirect for $50. I like supporting the local economy as much as the next guy, but I'm not paying the equivalent of more than 5x the price.Haven't brewed with them, but plan on it soon!

We must have went to the same place. :) I came to the same conclusion and did the exact same thing. I was going to end up spending $40 on hops for a batch if I bought them from the LBS. So I placed an order from Hops Direct and got over three pounds of hops shipped to my door for $50. So I now have hops for several batches of different beers for a little more than the cost of hops for one batch of one beer from the LBS. I have way more hops than I need, but I have a vacuum sealer and I keep them in the freezer, so they will be good for years with proper treatment.I like having an LBS, and the one we have here is a nice store. And I support them when feasible. But there is a point where I have to be rational and draw the line. $4/oz for any hops, regardless of the variety, or whether it was whole or pellet is over the line.And to stay somewhat on topic, I watched Food Tech last night (I haven't missed an episode yet, cool show). They did a decent job with the beer segment considering the show doesn't have time to go into detail and is a broad overview of the process.

Edited by stangbat, 02 April 2010 - 06:57 AM.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

I burn through Magnum and Cascade. So I ordered 2 lbs each.HD also had a REAL good price on Willamette (6 something a pound). So I splurged.But when I need a ounce or three of something different for a HB I'll always go to the LHBS.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

......... $4/oz for any hops, regardless of the variety, or whether it was whole or pellet is over the line...........

Yeah, I haven't been there lately - too bad, I would like to support them more. I can have stuff delivered to my doorstep much cheaper - except for the LBG gain buys.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users