#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35411 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Something for the FAQ...The hate/love hop threads got me thinking. Does anyone have the knowledge of the various hop varieties to put together a "Guide to Hops" - like what characteristics each one lends to beer, what each tastes like and what the typical styles each are used in?Sometimes I find myself in the LHBS and they are out of the hops I had planned. I usually end up mentally tied up, cant figure out what I should sub instead or whatever.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Something for the FAQ...The hate/love hop threads got me thinking. Does anyone have the knowledge of the various hop varieties to put together a "Guide to Hops" - like what characteristics each one lends to beer, what each tastes like and what the typical styles each are used in?Sometimes I find myself in the LHBS and they are out of the hops I had planned. I usually end up mentally tied up, cant figure out what I should sub instead or whatever.

I agree this would be good. Usually I just have to search on the internet to find this kind of info but rarely can I find a comprehensive list in one place.

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

Does this help at all? (see attached)

#4 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

C.J. was doing a HOTW (Hop of the week) thread on the board that doesn't exist.It was informative, and let all give their opinions/experiences as well.He is rather busy brewing, I wonder if someone or someones else would volunteer to do something similar here.

#5 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

there is always this:https://byo.com/resources/hops

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

I will use BYO and Hop Union when I am looking to find characteristics of hops. I would go with with Gfook suggested. I remember searching for the HOTW and read them many times. It would be nice to have something like that here maybe in the FAQ or something but I second the idea to go that route too.

#7 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

https://www.brew365.com/

#8 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

good idea I think, should probably start with a list of hops to include in the FAQ if it gets made and then go from there. I don't have enough experience with a wide range of hops so I don't consider myself qualified but we could start with a list...

#9 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35411 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

good idea I think, should probably start with a list of hops to include in the FAQ if it gets made and then go from there. I don't have enough experience with a wide range of hops so I don't consider myself qualified but we could start with a list...

This is why I am asking. I tend to make beers with only a few different hops. Mostly because I just dont know what most of the others do.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have used many different hops and many yet to go but maybe if a mod sees and reads this post they can give some feedback. I remember the HOTW gave a summary of the hop characteristics and then a lot of feedback from brewers. I think both is valuable and with so many hops and new varieties I think it would be fun and helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users