#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

My last two batches have had an off flavor, there's a few commonalities between the batches. Originally I was thinking it might be due to the fact that the beers were both low gravity, and the off flavor had something to do with my lack of unfermentables. After further consideration, I don't think that's the case. Now I'm thinking that the flavor might be from my heating element. It could possibly be described as metallic. It doesn't seem like an infection, but I guess I could be wrong. I did do extra cleaning and sanitizing on my fermenter after the first batch came out tasting funny.Anyone have something similar happen to them?Here is the element I'm using > LINK

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Never had metallic taste yet for me, so im not sure i can help you there.I would just wait ,and see if there is any change in your beers. I have rushed to judgement too soon myself in the past. :sarcasm:

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:48 AM

Nope, I've been using a Camco 4500W extra low density element for years. It looks the same as yours. It does need to be throttled back during the boil if you're using a keggle. I have a much wider kettle and run it at 100% power.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:05 AM

I just use a standard LD element. The kind that just folds back over itself and have not notices any off flavors. I have done some light beers like a kolsch and blonde and also have not had any issues. The only beer that I had an issue with was a wet hop IPA that had a real caramel aroma but I think that was because I had the element on 100% all the time to get the most vigorous boil to get the most utilization.Jay, what kind of control are you using? I normally throttle back to 75% on my element to get a nice boil.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:28 AM

Control? I don't need no stinkin' control!Seriously though, I'm just using on/off control via my PID. I set my setpoint temp at a level that keeps the element on maybe 50% of the time.

#6 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

I'm also using a extra low density element like yours. I haven't had any flavor issues after quite a few batches over a few years, some of them being lighter beers. However I did dry fire my element during the last session about a week ago. It seems fine and that is definitely one way to make sure any crud gets burnt off it. :sarcasm: Hopefully the beer will taste fine.One thing I'd look for is rust on the chromed part that has the threads. I have a little rust, and I wondered about possibly getting iron/metallic flavors from it, although to date I have noticed nothing. I switched to an aluminum lock nut to hopefully prevent any more rust by setting up a sacrificial anode. So far so good, but I only have one session with the new lock nut.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

A while ago I had seen a picture of a heating element that someone was using on Homebrewtalk in a rubbermaid cooler and that element had some kind of blue coating on it so it wasn't just the metal element. I thought that was a great idea for boiling of wort. I'll try to find the info on that and report back, but I'm not sure I can find it again.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

I did a taste test on Tuesday with water from the tap and water that had been heated in my kettle. No difference. Of course, the acidity of the wort is much different than water. I'm going to make up some wort for starters tomorrow. I'll try again with the wort to see if I notice a difference.I also tasted a bottle of my mild earlier this week that had had this strong off flavor, it's been almost five month since I brewed it and maybe two months since I last tasted it. The off flavor has definitely dissipated a bit, but is still noticeable. Previously it had been undrinkable. I said earlier it could be described as metallic, but I think it's more of an unripe banana flavor.

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

I wonder if that particular element has any zinc in it's coating material?

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

I wonder if that particular element has any zinc in it's coating material?

Incoloy, pretty much inert in a wort.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Where did you see that the coating is Incoloy?

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Where did you see that the coating is Incoloy?

I'm not sure, maybe on the packaging or on a website I bought from. I think it's standard for the ripple elements. Much darker than the chrome plated ones.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

I'm not sure, maybe on the packaging or on a website I bought from. I think it's standard for the ripple elements. Much darker than the chrome plated ones.

Yeah, a quick google search confirms it. That pretty much blows my theory out of the water. Well, at least that source can be eliminated.

#14 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Incoloy, pretty much inert in a wort.

Guess that explains why I was able to dry fire mine and it lived to brew another day. It takes a superalloy to resist my efforts. :stabby:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users