4 replies to this topic

#1 TCBLF

TCBLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

So I need to build a 2 tier brew sculpture. Something handle keggles, for 10 gallon batches. I am trying to figure out what would be the best steel to use. Is any mild steel more user friendly than another? (angle iron v.s. square tubing) What is most cost effective? What sizing of steel? Any advice is welcome.As you can tell, this welding thing is new to me. Just trying to make it work….Cheers!!!Iam thinking of something like this, from Slo BrewerPosted Image

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16527 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

I used bed frames and 1-1/4 box mild steel on mine. Still brews hard after 6yrs and no signs of fatigue.A buddy used some 2" box, and you cant even move the daym thing, overkill.

#3 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:56 AM

I agree with Andy. Start checking our free cycle and craigslist for free bed frames.I used 2" box on my Brutus 10 clone and that bitch wasn't fun to move around, even on casters. I'd honestly think that if you went box, you could go as low as 1.25" or 1.5" without issues.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:15 AM

Even mine made of bed frame rails is pretty heavy, i could only imagine if it were square tube. For a 2 tier system IMO angle is the best material for the job. It's got a built in lip for the vessel to rest on as well as an edge to keep it from sliding off. To boot it's almost half the weight of square tube.Strength wise mine can support both me and a friend standing on it. That's 300+lbs. If anything the bed frame rails are thicker than I think they need to be. If I redesign it with steel from the local yard I'll be going thinner.

#5 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:09 AM

I agree with Andy. Start checking our free cycle and craigslist for free bed frames.I used 2" box on my Brutus 10 clone and that bitch wasn't fun to move around, even on casters. I'd honestly think that if you went box, you could go as low as 1.25" or 1.5" without issues.

Our Brutus is also the same way on 2" casters it's managable but will out last most of my brewing days to come. overkill is not always a bad thing if it's at a cost you can afford like FREE... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users