Photo
- - - - -

Travel to Antwerp Belgium any Abbeys near by?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsday Brewery

Doomsday Brewery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Guys,I have to travel to Antwerp the week of May7th and was wondering if there were any monasteries near by Antwerp or Brussels where I can try some real Abbey Ale?Thanks

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Guys,I have to travel to Antwerp the week of May7th and was wondering if there were any monasteries near by Antwerp or Brussels where I can try some real Abbey Ale?Thanks

I land in Brussels on May 8th myself :smilielol:In Brussels you have Cantillion but it's not one of the Trappist it sounds like you're after. In Brussels though you could go to Beer Circus or the Delerium Cafe and take your pick, they will probably have everything except Westvleteren. In Antwerp the place to go is the Kulminator. Originally I was planning to go to Antwerp but instead I'll be heading south out of Brugges to Roeselare to visit Rodenbach and then a little further west to check out Westvleteren.The Trappist breweries themselves are not real convenient to go visit as most are out in the middle of nowhere. My original plan when going was to not get a rental car but to get to the ones I really want to hit public transit isn't as viable an option.

#3 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Strangebrewer is correct, I believe, in that none of the trappist abbey's are really close to any city (Brussel, Antwerp, Gent, etc). their pretty much out in the middle of the country side and I do not think you can tour all of them. for instance I did not think you could tour Westvletern or Rochefort (Notre Dame de Saint Reme). the only brewery I've gone to in Belgium was the Halve Moon in Brugges and next time in Belgium I will definitely hit Cantillion.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Strangebrewer is correct, I believe, in that none of the trappist abbey's are really close to any city (Brussel, Antwerp, Gent, etc). their pretty much out in the middle of the country side and I do not think you can tour all of them. for instance I did not think you could tour Westvletern or Rochefort (Notre Dame de Saint Reme). the only brewery I've gone to in Belgium was the Halve Moon in Brugges and next time in Belgium I will definitely hit Cantillion.

I've been researching this to death as I do most things. Brewery tours are still something of a novel concept to the Belgians. Cantillion is an exception where they will apparently charge you admission, give you a map and a beer and turn you loose (in so many words at least). Otherwise you have to call and call and harass and harass to get an actual guided tour and even then you had better speak either French or Dutch. Most of the breweries will have a cafe that is attached or across the street where you can enjoy their beers. I'll have better details in about 3 weeks :smilielol:

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

I was in Belgium in Decemeber on a European Beer Tour with my buddy. We decided that the abbey's were all too much of a pain to go to with nothing else nearby to make stopping there worthwhile. Delerium Cafe is great in Brussels though. Went there two nights in a row actually. Belgian chocolate is crack. Buy more than you think you will need to give away as gifts. I was going to give 4 people gifts, but only 2 got theirs. I loved Brussels. That town is pretty sweet. I wonder if they are still talking about breaking up Belgium over there.

#6 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

you might be better off just hitting up really good cafes while there. if in Bruges definitely go to Gambrinus Cafe which is a half block off of the square and there is another great one (forget the name) that is 2 blocks off of the square, walking away from the tower on the right hand side of the square, that is the basement of an old church.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

I've been researching this to death as I do most things. Brewery tours are still something of a novel concept to the Belgians. Cantillion is an exception where they will apparently charge you admission, give you a map and a beer and turn you loose (in so many words at least). Otherwise you have to call and call and harass and harass to get an actual guided tour and even then you had better speak either French or Dutch. Most of the breweries will have a cafe that is attached or across the street where you can enjoy their beers. I'll have better details in about 3 weeks :smilielol:

My tour of Cantillon was guided and in English. Also... Stock the f up at that brewery. The more beer you buy, the cheaper it gets. I bought almost 3 cases and a few tshirts for less than 90 euro. I don't know if they screwed up or what, but great deal.

you might be better off just hitting up really good cafes while there. if in Bruges definitely go to Gambrinus Cafe which is a half block off of the square and there is another great one (forget the name) that is 2 blocks off of the square, walking away from the tower on the right hand side of the square, that is the basement of an old church.

Gambrinus is freakin sweet, but it is hard to get into because it is really small. When I went it was during the pagent so it was pretty packed.You asked about abbeys. I think you meant Trappist breweries. Konighoven is just northwest of Antwerp in the Netherlands. I went to St. Sixtus and to be honest, there was no tour and nothing to see. It was a big waste of a day. It was a nice walk, but you are better off going to Roselare to go to Rodenbach. Amazing tour. Gent is a great city too, but quite south from Antwerp. Brussels.... Ah Brussels. What a great city. Old buildings and amazing beer everywhere. ANd if you like to eat, there are some great spots to pair your beer with food. The Gran Place is truly breathtaking. Do a bit of research and you will be rewarded. A lot of small, non-touristy sort of places are around and have the most amazing beer lists. Just be careful to stay out of the anti-white/anti-american muslim extremist neighborhoods....

#8 Doomsday Brewery

Doomsday Brewery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

I spoke with my buddy who is Dutch and lives near Antwerp here is the list that was with in and Hour of Antwerp he thought would be of interest:De KoninckHaacht Duvel Stella ArtoisLachoffe What do you think?

#9 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

I think that, in Belgium, everything is close enough if you've got a car.

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

But you don't even need a personal car, you can get to the major areas with the train and catch a cab out to the brewery. Cheaper than renting a car.

#11 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28525 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Wants to get over there so bad...

#12 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

I spoke with my buddy who is Dutch and lives near Antwerp here is the list that was with in and Hour of Antwerp he thought would be of interest:De KoninckHaacht Duvel Stella ArtoisLachoffe What do you think?

I think that Stella is basically European Budweiser. I'd call it InBev's Bud, but InBev owns Bud now too. The current brewery in Leuven is automated and was opened by InBev back in the mid/early 90s I think. Might be cool to see, but it's not an abbey or even craft brew.I believe the last one is actually spelled La Chouffe, and I believe it is now owned by Duvel, though I think the brewery in Achouffe is still open an operational, not certain though.

#13 AiredAle

AiredAle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Definitely check out the De Koninck beer and brewery if you can. It's my favorite easy drinking Belgian pale ale. Try to find the Pilgrim bar across the street from the brewery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users