16 replies to this topic

#1 gkessing

gkessing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Brewers,I am new to brewing. But my first four batches went as expected and came out great. My fifth batch is a little weird and I would like to understand whats going on.I brewed it two weeks ago. Fermentation began as expected and was proceeding at the normal rate of bubbles in the airlock every second or so. After a couple of days the rate slowed to almost nothing so I transferred the beer to the glass carboy. After 3 days in the carboy the top 3/4 looked clear and the bottom 1/4 still looked a bit cloudy. So I let it in the carboy. Now, two weeks after brewing, the entire batch looks cloudy and it bubbles about once every 30 seconds. (Note that two days ago it was a about a bubble every 20 seconds so it slowing.) Note also that the tempature has been a constant 68-70 degrees and it is a Pilsner. So, I have the following questions:Is it still fermenting or is it spoiled?What could cause this?Thanks for help offered.Regards,Gary

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Have you been taking gravity readings?If not, then you should. That's the only reliable way to measure fermentation progress. Airlock bubbles only mean CO2 is escaping, and will continue to occur after fermentation is complete.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Have you been taking gravity readings?If not, then you should. That's the only reliable way to measure fermentation progress. Airlock bubbles only mean CO2 is escaping, and will continue to occur after fermentation is complete.

yepthisFull details of your recipe and process would be helpfull alsoamd Welcome to our humble piece of the internet :facepalm:

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Did you store the 2ndary in a different room than the primary and was the temp warmer?...this wouldn't be that uncommon if you werent completely done in the primary then roused the yeast by transferring....happens to me sometimes even when I use gel...there are a lot of factors that this could be...It could be fermentation or if the beer was slowly warming up more CO2 could be escaping...Gravity readings wll tell you which one it is...

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

+1 on this one. Airlock activity means nothing and gravity checks are required along the way thats the only way to know if you are done. I would guess if you only left in primary for 3 days once you transferred you got more fermentation with whatever yeast carried over in the transfer. Again check your gravity and let that help you decide if you are done or not too.

#6 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19227 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

Note also that the tempature has been a constant 68-70 degrees and it is a Pilsner. So, I have the following questions:

What kind of yeast did you use? Usually, Pilseners use a lager yeast, and ferment in th 45-55 degree range.

#7 gkessing

gkessing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Yep, you were all correct - basic brewing - take the gravity!!!! It was where it was supposed to be indicating fermenting complete so I got it bottled. Thanks to all who contributed!!!Regards,Gary

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Ahh, yet another example of RDWHAHB :facepalm:

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

68-70 is a tad high for a lager. Hope it turns out well.

#10 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

For it to get visibly cloudy again after primary fermentation, I would be worried about micro contamination.Did you taste it before it whent into bottles? Smell it?MolBasser

#11 gkessing

gkessing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Yea, as a matter of fact, I did taste it and smell it. Swallowed several gulps. Seemed OK to me. Certainly didn't get sick. But I just looked and the bottle beer is still cloudy. This particular recipe calls for steeping a bunch of hops for the last minute. I did that and let the hops bag drain into the wort before I removed. I figured it may end up being to hoppy tasting. Now I am wondering if it wasn't that last hosp steep that caused the clouding?Regards,Gary

#12 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

What kind of cloudy?Is is sort of "silky" or more particulate?MolBasser

#13 gkessing

gkessing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

What kind of cloudy?Is is sort of "silky" or more particulate?MolBasser

#14 gkessing

gkessing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

It is more silky, very light. Certainly not particulate.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

Silky=not good.Did you smell it or taste it?MolBasser

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

68-70 is a tad high for a lager. Hope it turns out well.

Whatcha wanna bet it wasn't a real lager yeast? That's pretty common in a lot of kits.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Whatcha wanna bet it wasn't a real lager yeast? That's pretty common in a lot of kits.

I'll bet it was an expired pack of Windsor, any takers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users