13 replies to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

How quickly should they clog? I have aerated maybe 30 gallons through one and it's slowed to a trickle of air through my stone. Last time this happened I replaced the filter and problem solved. If I only am going to get 30 gallons out of a air filter then I might as well just buy an oxy tank and regulator. I called my two local brew shops and both are out, i need some aeration for my dort export. any way to get better performance from the one I have now?

#2 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hmm...we haven't replaced either of the ones at work since i started there...about a year ago...I think you need more pure gas.

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hmm...we haven't replaced either of the ones at work since i started there...about a year ago...I think you need more pure gas.

I'm just pushing atmosphere with an aquarium pump through the filter. I checked the output of the pump and it is decent.

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

I would look at some sort of pre filter... Ambient air is pretty soil laden.

#5 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

I would look at some sort of pre filter... Ambient air is pretty soil laden.

Thanks man, will do

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I need a better aeration system myself.That being said, i understand the stones should be soaked in Vodka to keep the pores open.Is this the way you do it? educate me there please. And i don't understand the Pre-filter before the filter idea."I would look at some sort of pre filter... Ambient air is pretty soil laden."Anyways, let us know what you find out im interested. ;)

#7 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:58 AM

And i don't understand the Pre-filter before the filter idea.

The idea is to use a pre-filter to get out the big particles before putting air through the sanitary, reducing the chance of it clogging up.

#8 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

I dont see a point in a pre-filter as the sanitary filters cost like 3-4 bucks. I have been using mine for a long while with no problems. I suppose unless you are brewing in a drafty or "dirty" place, i wouldn't expect a need for a pre-filter.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

Here's how you make a pre-filter:Get some fiberglass (like typical house insulation stuff), stuff it in a tube (say 1/2" diameter, 4" long) , put it in line before your sanitary filter. That will get any big crud out of the air.

#10 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40964 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

I never filter my air. I just hook the stone and tube up to my aquarium pump. The pump has a filter on the intake side, I spray that with a little sanitizer before starting it, but that is all. I have never had a problem doing this.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:45 AM

Another option: Bubble your air through sanitizer.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

Or polyester batting instead of fiberglass.

#13 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

Another option: Bubble your air through sanitizer.

This is the pump Ive got:Posted ImageCan you elaborate on how to bubble it through sanitizer? the intake for the pump isn't a tube I could hook to, the only thing I could think of is this early is like a... errr.... water pipe. but I don't know if that pump has the gumption to work that hard.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64087 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

This is the pump Ive got:Posted ImageCan you elaborate on how to bubble it through sanitizer? the intake for the pump isn't a tube I could hook to, the only thing I could think of is this early is like a... errr.... water pipe. but I don't know if that pump has the gumption to work that hard.

Yeah, you would need a sealed jar and fittings to pass through the lid of the jar. The inlet tube goes down into the liquid and the outlet pulls off the headspace....or you could get an O2 regulator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users