#1 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

are amazing.... Made an IIPA with Citra/Amarillo/Cascade, it is beyond delicious just from a sample. Cant wait to carb this bad boy and serve it from my kegerator.

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Take out the amarillo and you have a winner.Replace it with centenial. Or chinook.:)And for God's sake, don't pollute the awesomeness of citra with simcoe.....MolBasser

#3 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

Take out the amarillo and you have a winner.Replace it with centenial. Or chinook.:)And for God's sake, don't pollute the awesomeness of citra with simcoe.....MolBasser

Take that Amarillo hate somewhere else!

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

Its a decent aroma hop. Very little goes a very long way. I used it at 20 and at flame out and the beer had to age 2 months before i could get over the slap in the face grapefruit. Lets just say using the hop that way made a good beer. Just different. I'm not in a huge hurry to use it again as a flavor addition. There were a number of people who enjoyed the beer after it got some age on it, not to many when it was young.

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Take out the amarillo and you have a winner.Replace it with centenial. Or chinook.;)And for God's sake, don't pollute the awesomeness of citra with simcoe.....MolBasser

Dude?Anyway, I just got some Citra in at MBC, my assistant brewer has been itching to play with it.

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

Its a decent aroma hop. Very little goes a very long way. I used it at 20 and at flame out and the beer had to age 2 months before i could get over the slap in the face grapefruit. Lets just say using the hop that way made a good beer. Just different. I'm not in a huge hurry to use it again as a flavor addition. There were a number of people who enjoyed the beer after it got some age on it, not to many when it was young.

How does Citra compare to Chinook? I have one # of it and want to make an IPA or two soon.Chinooka/a 11-12.8% Bittering HopAroma - Spicy, piney, distinctive grapefruit aroma of medium intensity.Typical brewing use - US Style Pale Ale, IPA, Stout, Barley Wine, LagerDomestic and Farm-grown Variety

#7 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:44 AM

Citra has much less alpha.It is an aroma hop, not a bittering hop.Chinook is primarily a bittering hop, although we have dry hopped with it....MolBasser

#8 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

Hmm...the Citra I got clocked in at 11.1% AA...

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

Hmm...the Citra I got clocked in at 11.1% AA...

Running to the LHBS today to drop off some beers for a competition and planning to pick up a couple ounces of Citra. I agree LHBS has them listed as 11.1% as well.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

Haven't tried 'em yet because I assumed from the name that they were all citrusy.

#11 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

My citra was 11% as well. I used it in my IIPA as my main buttering hop and turned out extremley well.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Open a cone and bite off the yummies. It will actually burn your mouth. Stuff is wicked. Ive never used Citra as bittering but at 11% I see no reason not to try it. Chinook is a very rough bitter to me and I don't like them just for that reason. Its possible Citra as bittering will do the same thing.Again, it doesn't take much Citra used as flavor charges to get overwhelming grapefruit. Once it ages, it seems to be alright. Ive got another IpA that just got Citra for aroma and the nose in/out of primary is hardcore grapefruit. It will mellow, just very forward.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

My citra was 11% as well. I used it in my IIPA as my main buttering hop and turned out extremley well.

Freshops?mine as well

#14 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

Freshops?mine as well

negative. Mine were pellets from my lhbs.

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Freshops?mine as well

HopsDirect has Citra in leaf form. I just picked up 2oz at LHBS and going to brew with them next weekend. Then I am thinking of getting a lb and roll from there.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

HopsDirect has Citra in leaf form. I just picked up 2oz at LHBS and going to brew with them next weekend. Then I am thinking of getting a lb and roll from there.

I got 8 0z in the freezer already, working on a Torpedo Tribute Alemmmm

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

I got 8 0z in the freezer already, working on a Torpedo Tribute Alemmmm

Just call it Torpedo like. There's no way a home brewer can replicate the process with out some ingenuity and some big bucks. BYO noted setting up multiple cornies as Torpedo's. I think setting up a few water filter housings would be better and more realistic at the home brew volumes.

#18 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

I ordered a pound of pellets from NikoBrew, should come in today. Has anyone done a single hop APA out of citra?

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

Just call it Torpedo like. There's no way a home brewer can replicate the process with out some ingenuity and some big bucks. BYO noted setting up multiple cornies as Torpedo's. I think setting up a few water filter housings would be better and more realistic at the home brew volumes.

yeah I know I can't replicate the "torpedo" in process"Gridley's Full Speed Ahead Ale" I was thinking ;)

#20 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

I just finished taking out the dry hops from my keg from my IIPA made with citra1oz Cascade1oz Amarillo1oz CitraHOLY MOLY! Wow talk about a great aroma..... Very well pronounced citrus smell, a little more aggressive bite than I would of expected but once it starts carbing up its going to age and well I have high hopes for this brew. Going to bottle a liter of this and compare them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users