#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

Another brain fart. Went to the LHBS a couple days ago to pick up some specialty malts, a few odds and ends and definitely to use a credit I had from prior purchases. Of course I knew that I had some Wyeast 1272 so I could make my half hearted (lightweight Two Hearted clone).Of course, no 1272 :P So I started some 1010 yesterday. So an Am Wheat, but then thought why not do an Am Rye, Cat 6d? Then brew a wheat after that.Anyone used this for a Rye? I am anyway but would love to hear any comments.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Another brain fart. Went to the LHBS a couple days ago to pick up some specialty malts, a few odds and ends and definitely to use a credit I had from prior purchases. Of course I knew that I had some Wyeast 1272 so I could make my half hearted (lightweight Two Hearted clone).Of course, no 1272 :P So I started some 1010 yesterday. So an Am Wheat, but then thought why not do an Am Rye, Cat 6d? Then brew a wheat after that.Anyone used this for a Rye? I am anyway but would love to hear any comments.

I used this last year in a beer that was pretty much 50% wheat and 50% Rye. Fermented it nice and cool, around 62 and the beer was a big hit. A nice easy drinking summer beer. I really like 1010. It is a pretty neutral yeast that cleans up very nice.Mike

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I used this last year in a beer that was pretty much 50% wheat and 50% Rye. Fermented it nice and cool, around 62 and the beer was a big hit. A nice easy drinking summer beer. I really like 1010. It is a pretty neutral yeast that cleans up very nice.Mike

Wow, never considered that. No barley? I don't know if I have enough rice hulls around to handle that but it sounds like something I could have my arm twisted pretty easily to brew.

#4 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

I've brew American Rye Wheat's with it all the time; 50% Wheat, 25% Rye, and 25% 2-Row, with a little C-10 and Cara-Pils thrown in. I ferment it between 60-62', never used rice hulls, and it always comes out great.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

We'll you all have me convinced to use Rye and Wheat. I may throw some 2- row in and probably a little special roast or something else. I've got a bit of rice hulls and will throw that in just because. Thanks for chiming in. Gotta drain a keg before I can brew though - shouldn't be a problem since a couple are on their last legs......... and the starter is just now kicking off.Hops - Noble or C-Hops? Can do either... Leaning towards Simcoe since it will make my wife very happy.

#6 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

We'll you all have me convinced to use Rye and Wheat. I may throw some 2- row in and probably a little special roast or something else. I've got a bit of rice hulls and will throw that in just because. Thanks for chiming in. Gotta drain a keg before I can brew though - shouldn't be a problem since a couple are on their last legs......... and the starter is just now kicking off.Hops - Noble or C-Hops? Can do either... Leaning towards Simcoe since it will make my wife very happy.

Well, I make mine for my wife and her friends too, so I keep it mellow and use Hallertauer Hersbrucker at 60 and 20, and use a little Cascade at 2 minutes; total IBU's around 25.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Think I used Willamette in mine .. have to checking the brewing notes that are on my work computer.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Well, I make mine for my wife and her friends too, so I keep it mellow and use Hallertauer Hersbrucker at 60 and 20, and use a little Cascade at 2 minutes; total IBU's around 25.

45- 50 IBUs will make my wife happier, and with Simcoe. She could care less about her friends wanting it :smilielol: More for the happily married hopheads... Except when another altbier is on tap......... or a stout......... etc. She's a keeper for sure.

#9 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

45- 50 IBUs will make my wife happier, and with Simcoe. She could care less about her friends wanting it :smilielol: More for the happily married hopheads... Except when another altbier is on tap......... or a stout......... etc. She's a keeper for sure.

"45- 50 IBUs will make my wife happier"What a deal? Lucky MAN! :)

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

And she thinks even starters, much less brew day smell wonderful. Double deal. :smilielol:

#11 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

And she thinks even starters, much less brew day smell wonderful. Double deal. :smilielol:

https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Wow DJ you are a lucky man. I couldn't get my wife to drink a full beer if I paid her. She puckers up badly when I have her try a hoppy brew as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users