13 replies to this topic

#1 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Stopped by a local outlet today and they have 60 gal oak barrels for $40.00 each, they last contained vanilla and sassafras extract, now there's no labels on the barrels to verify what was in them. any opinions as to wether these could be used?

#2 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

Id need more info if these barrels were specifically made for them and if there ever was a char or if they were used when they got them. Personally, id be leary about them just because of the amount that would leach into the first batch. It is possible however to do a starsan soak and try to remove this excess flavors. In my opinion, you would be better off finding a freshly dumped whiskey barrel.

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

In my opinion, you would be better off finding a freshly dumped whiskey barrel.

Find me a full one and I'll "freshly dump" it for you :smilielol:

#4 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Find me a full one and I'll "freshly dump" it for you :smilielol:

Haha, im not telling where my secret source is :)

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Haha, im not telling where my secret source is :smilielol:

Is that the same place McDonald's get's their "secret sauce" for the Big Mac??? Oh wait... that's just Thousand Island Dressing...Apart from not know what was in it beforehand, if the barrell contained vanilla, seems like it might be prime for a Vanilla Porter. Do a batch and if it's too strong, brew another and blend to tone it down. That's a lot of Vanilla Porter, but hey... just and idea.I'm assuming that with a 60 gallon barrell, you guys would do this as a group brew?

#6 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Apart from not know what was in it beforehand, if the barrell contained vanilla, seems like it might be prime for a Vanilla Porter. Do a batch and if it's too strong, brew another and blend to tone it down. That's a lot of Vanilla Porter, but hey... just and idea.I'm assuming that with a 60 gallon barrell, you guys would do this as a group brew?

Good idea, expecially the blending advice.Other considerations is barrel integrity. Doesn't take long at all for a empty barrel to get unwanted bacteria and leaky staves which can be tough if not impossible to seal back up.

#7 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

I'll probably have to pass on them, there's no way i could brew that much beer at one time and there's no one around that homebrews.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

I'll probably have to pass on them, there's no way i could brew that much beer at one time and there's no one around that homebrews.

Yeah, that would be three ten gallon batches a day for two days just to fill er up. Of course that's based on how long I think it would take me... A lot of work!

#9 dadzcool

dadzcool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

where are these barrels located?...i will be seeing drewslue tomorrow when we tap our scottish ale that has been aging in a 23 year old pappy van winkle barrel for the last year...

#10 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Other considerations is barrel integrity. Doesn't take long at all for a empty barrel to get unwanted bacteria and leaky staves which can be tough if not impossible to seal back up.

I have a partially empty 55g Bulleit barrel that has sat for over a year for this very reason. It belonged to a brewery in KC, but they abandoned it after what they thought was a lactic infection. About a third of the beer still remains :wacko: I acquired it through a friend (who brews with the big boys now) with the intentions of making it a sour barrel for lambics and other weird creations... I've reconsidered the idea as of late - too much precious wort that could be wasted on oaky/sour weirdness. It may end up in someone's smoker some day, who knows...

#11 Uisgue

Uisgue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

First, I think that a barrel that had contained pure extract (either vanilla or sassafras) would be WAY too saturated to use for aging beer.Second, I would be concerned about how long it may have been sitting empty, via-a-vis infections or leaks.However, I think that it might be quite valuable chopped into pieces to be used as flavored oak chip additions while conditioning.(I'll take some!)

#12 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

Forgive me if this is a stupid question/idea....strangely enough, I've been drinking beer in fair amounts, which will cause me to ask questions I might normally keep to myself. Here's my thought: What if you suspended the barrel up-side-down over a wood fire, to cause the inside of the barrel to be toasted or charred a bit? I would think the the inside surface of the wood would get to a high enough temperature at a sufficient depth into the wood staves to kill any infection it may be harboring, and at the same time, burn off any residual vanilla soaked into the wood. The toasted wood should then lend the same kind of quality given to a chardonnay or bourbon aged in an oak barrel.*drunk rant over*

Edited by stellarbrew, 25 April 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#13 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

where are these barrels located?...i will be seeing drewslue tomorrow when we tap our scottish ale that has been aging in a 23 year old pappy van winkle barrel for the last year...

Hoods in Festus.

#14 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

23 year old pappy van winkle barrel for the last year...

You must of gotten the same dumped round of precious few barrels of 23 too. We put a Impy stout in ours and is coming along nicely.

What if you suspended the barrel up-side-down over a wood fire, to cause the inside of the barrel to be toasted or charred a bit?

You would have to remove a head. You would have to be a cooper to know how to do this.

Edited by Blktre, 26 April 2009 - 09:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users