#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

I brewed up my first ever IPA almost two weeks ago. This past Sunday, I racked from the primary to the secondary and dry-hopped with an ounce of Amarillo pellets. I'm going to be bottling this weekend but want to eliminate as much hop residue as possible. So I got to thinking this morning if somehow filtering into the bottling bucket would be possible. Cheese cloth?Coffee filter?All sanitized of course....Anyone have any tips or past experiences?Thanks!

#2 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

I brewed up my first ever IPA almost two weeks ago. This past Sunday, I racked from the primary to the secondary and dry-hopped with an ounce of Amarillo pellets. I'm going to be bottling this weekend but want to eliminate as much hop residue as possible. So I got to thinking this morning if somehow filtering into the bottling bucket would be possible. Cheese cloth?Coffee filter?All sanitized of course....Anyone have any tips or past experiences?Thanks!

I have never tried filtering my home brew after the secondary, but I would think that using a cheese cloth or coffee filter is going to add a lot of oxygen into the beer at a time when you do not want any oxygen added to your beer. If you want to truly filter without adding oxygen then you need to push the beer in a closed enviroment through a filter using CO2.Ed

#3 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

A sanitized cheesecloth or hop bag wrapped around your racking cane should do the trick. Next time put your dry hops in a hop bag and hang them in secondary. It makes racking and cleanup much easier.

#4 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28457 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Also if you can crash cool your fermentor for a bit it'll knock out most hops, etc.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

I thought filtering last year would be a great idea as well. I don't see a point in it now. I second the idea to crash cool before you transfer. You can leave so much behind that way too.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

A sanitized cheesecloth or hop bag wrapped around your racking cane should do the trick. Next time put your dry hops in a hop bag and hang them in secondary. It makes racking and cleanup much easier.

This works fine. Be prepared for it to clog, though. When it does, swish it around gently to dislodge a bit of hops and soldier on. It will probably take longer than a typical transfer, too.

#7 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28457 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

This works fine. Be prepared for it to clog, though. When it does, swish it around gently to dislodge a bit of hops and soldier on. It will probably take longer than a typical transfer, too.

Another on is a new SS scrubby (not steel wool!) over the tip

#8 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

I thought filtering last year would be a great idea as well. I don't see a point in it now. I second the idea to crash cool before you transfer. You can leave so much behind that way too.

I don't know if I have the ability to "crash cool". I could get it down to 55 degrees but not any further. Is that cool enough? Let's say I bottled as is, will the hops settle at the bottom of the bottle similar to yeast or will they remain suspended?

#9 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28457 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

I don't know if I have the ability to "crash cool". I could get it down to 55 degrees but not any further. Is that cool enough? Let's say I bottled as is, will the hops settle at the bottom of the bottle similar to yeast or will they remain suspended?

No you want sub 40 temps to really knock things out. A spare fridge is prime for stuff like this.Put something over your racking cane to dodge most of it and the rest will settle out.

#10 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

Will do. Moving forward I'm either going to put pellets in a hop bag or dry hop with whole hops....ugh!

#11 stadelman

stadelman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

I, personally, would not mess around with trying to filter this out. The head space should be filled with CO2. I would shake the fermenter or swirl it and then let it settle. Repeat for a couple of days until most of it is settled out. I've got an IPA dry hopped right now. A day ago I barely touched it and I could see hop matter falling. I cold crash mine to sub 30 to drop everything out.

#12 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

dude, its still 2 weeks old. give it another 2 weeks to sit to floc out more yeast and then bottle for another 2.just my opinion its still a bit to young to bottle.

#13 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

I don't think a little hop pellet residue is gonna hurt much.Your bottling (and priming I presume) so you going to decant the beer from the bottles for drinking anyway.I wouldn't bother.I would also recommend dry hopping with whole hops.BrewBasser

#14 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

I cold crash mine to sub 30 to drop everything out.

I have never tried to cold crash hops to get them to fall out of suspension... Yeast on the other hand works great. I'll have to give this a try. I have always been a gentle shaker and waiter. And I am one of those rackers who always leaves a bit behind in transfers and let the first few pours of the keg do the final clean up.

#15 stadelman

stadelman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

I have never tried to cold crash hops to get them to fall out of suspension... Yeast on the other hand works great. I'll have to give this a try. I have always been a gentle shaker and waiter. And I am one of those rackers who always leaves a bit behind in transfers and let the first few pours of the keg do the final clean up.

I don't know why this works, but it really does. When the beer gets cold, everything falls out. If you're cold crashing to drop yeast, you can plan on it dropping hop material too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users