#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have a friend who has a neighbor that shipped a number of oak barrels from california. I was able to get one for free. The thing is, when I went to take a look at the barrels today, the one that he wanted to give me had mold, spiderwebs and other nasties in it. We looked around, and found one that was cleaner. All the barrels had no bungs keeping things sealed. I don't know the age of the barrels, or how long they have been sitting outside.My question is: can the barrel be salvaged? I have k-meta, as well as starsan that I can fill it up with, and do an extended soak to sanitize and make sure the staves are swelled and not leaking. I just don't know if that will be enough to kill off enough of the bacteria and mold to feel comfortable putting in 60 gallons of beer in to.I know it is best to get these freshly emptied from the distillery or winery, but this was kindly given to me by my friend, and want to use it if I can, but if it is just going to make anything I put in it sour, I don't know.I could learn how to make some lambics, and in three years have a gueze? haha.

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

I would not trust a barrel that has been dry and outside for any length of time. It's going to take some time to get the wood to swell back up enough to seal. But even then there's no telling what kind of critters are living up in the crannies of the wood where no k-meta can get to them. Make planters out of them.

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

I would not trust a barrel that has been dry and outside for any length of time. It's going to take some time to get the wood to swell back up enough to seal. But even then there's no telling what kind of critters are living up in the crannies of the wood where no k-meta can get to them. Make planters out of them.

I have a barrel that i came into last year, and im going to do the same with them.Let the wife plant flowers in them.They were dry forever so it seems(had two-gave one away).Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

From my tour of Cantillion I can tell you spiders are required for making good lambic.If it's been dried out, has mold, and who knows what else I agree it's good for a planter. I definitely wouldn't risk 60 gallons on anything to an unknown barrel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users