#21 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

Are there any commercial examples of peated beer LD can try ?This has made some bad memories resurface of some stuff I've tasted a few years ago. Actually, it tastes worse than anyone has described so far :P

#22 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like a good experiment Brian! Let me know when you need a hand sampling....Steve told me you were brewing on sunday - I saw your blue clone recipe sitting behind the counter - and that I should stop by but I am moving at the start of next week so I think I should stay home and clean the old place this weekend. Maybe when you brew this smoky one we can get together!

#23 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

I used 2 oz of peat smoked grain in my wee heavy. It's a beer that I have to be in the mood for, but it's not horrible like many people seem to think it would be.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Are there any commercial examples of peated beer LD can try ?This has made some bad memories resurface of some stuff I've tasted a few years ago. Actually, it tastes worse than anyone has described so far :smilielol:

my impression of Peated Malted is "lionel electric train transformer" tastes, like the smell of an electric transformer. blech

#25 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11694 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

If you like Islay Scotches, a little peated malt might be ok in your beer. With out a doubt is at least an order of magnitude stronger than smoked malt. You can easily make an enjoyable beer out of 100% smoked malt, but I don't think many could choke down one made from 100% peated malt. That being said, how else would they have kilned the malt for beer where there were no freaking trees and before coke/coal was used? Did they just not brew beer or only use imported malt?

#26 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'll never use peated malt again. It's overwhelming. Even just 1 ounce was a little too much for me.That said, I don't think it would be a terrible thing if you limited yourself to 0.25 oz, or 0.5 oz absolute maximum (for 5 gallons), IF you're tempted to try it once.

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

If you like Islay Scotches, a little peated malt might be ok in your beer. With out a doubt is at least an order of magnitude stronger than smoked malt. You can easily make an enjoyable beer out of 100% smoked malt, but I don't think many could choke down one made from 100% peated malt. That being said, how else would they have kilned the malt for beer where there were no freaking trees and before coke/coal was used? Did they just not brew beer or only use imported malt?

they prolly just made scotch :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users