#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

Just saw an advertisement or these https://www.brewballstore.com/ in zymurgy...These seem like a great idea, although i would like 1.018, 1.016, 1.014, 1.012, etc i might email them and ask if that is possible since they said they may be able to custom order a set....I really don't ever take a gravity reading until i think its done....i dont like taking off the blow off tube unless I think it is done. I usually get around where I want it but some batches have def been too high....this would be cool to know...

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54182 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

I thought Brewballs was something that you got when you didn't brew for awhile. :cheers: Has anyone tried these? It seems a little gimmicky, but what do I know??

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

I think these would work great for lagers

#4 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

and are clearly visible after the Kraeusen settles down

I don't know. Sometimes my Kraeusen take forever to drop. Well after FG is reached. Anything in the middle would be useless as they would float on the Kraeusen.

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

I thought Brewballs was something that you got when you didn't brew for awhile. :frank: Has anyone tried these? It seems a little gimmicky, but what do I know??

LOL! :blush: Awesome KenI actually saw these today in Zymurgy. I thought they would be a great idea. Although I would like to see the bawls all be closer to what a finishing gravity would be. Why would I put a 1.055 bawl in? To see if fermentation started?

#6 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:30 AM

I actually have a couple sets of balls, Brew Balls that is. This is only my second batch using them, but they appear to work properly. The problem is that I've made an Impy Stout and the gunk from the kreusen has adhered itself to the shoulder and neck of the carboy. Kinda makes it difficult to see these suckers. Another added problem is I think my fermentation might be stuck at 1.030ish - a hydro test seems to agree. I added some more yeast and will check again in a few days.EDIT: This product probably would be better for secondary or lagering as DaBearSox said.

Edited by RommelMagic, 11 March 2010 - 01:32 AM.

#7 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:53 AM

Neat idea. Infection from hydro readings seems overblown. Has anyone actually infected their beer by taking a hydro reading? Anyone?Besides, I kind of look forward to tasting the hydro reading.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

Neat idea. Infection from hydro readings seems overblown. Has anyone actually infected their beer by taking a hydro reading? Anyone?Besides, I kind of look forward to tasting the hydro reading.

I'd be more worried about O2 introduction towards the end of fermentation but infection? not worried about it.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:32 AM

EDIT: This product probably would be better for secondary or lagering as DaBearSox said.

Why would the gravity be changing once primary is done with? Do you transfer before fermentation is complete?

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

+1. This thing does seem kinda gimmicky. If you have a wine thief it should take all of 15 seconds to extract a sample to check your FG with a hydrometer. You just gotta make sure that you clean the thief before you use it. I will stick to the old reliable hydro method never contaminated a batch either.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

Neat idea. Infection from hydro readings seems overblown. Has anyone actually infected their beer by taking a hydro reading? Anyone?...

Nope, but I once had this diaper ...In other 'news'for those without, now you can actually go out and buy a pair!-edit,I could see this useful in meads that can take forever some times.

Edited by Stout_fan, 11 March 2010 - 06:18 AM.

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:15 AM

I used to toy with the idea of just leaving a hyrdo in primary but I was afraid the krausen would gunk it and make it hard to read or make it inaccurate. Also the fear of breaking it on transfer.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

I used to toy with the idea of just leaving a hyrdo in primary but I was afraid the krausen would gunk it and make it hard to read or make it inaccurate. Also the fear of breaking it on transfer.

It's fairly rare that I ever really need gravity monitoring. For your standard ale you can just let it hang out in primary for a couple of weeks and be almost 100% sure it's fermented as much as it's going to ferment. The only time I really like to know what's going on mid process is if I'm going to perform a d-rest for a lager.

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29314 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

is it calibrate to account for the desolved CO2 in solution?

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54182 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

It's fairly rare that I ever really need gravity monitoring. For your standard ale you can just let it hang out in primary for a couple of weeks and be almost 100% sure it's fermented as much as it's going to ferment. The only time I really like to know what's going on mid process is if I'm going to perform a d-rest for a lager.

I hate to admit it, but I agree with this. I only hate to agree because there are many brewers who don't like "bubble-watchers". I leave my primaries in relatively cool spots for the majority of primary and once activity slows down, I move it to a slightly warmer spot and I gently swirl it to make sure the gravity is as far down as it will go. When I use a notoriously difficult strain of yeast or something that likes to floc (1968, 2112, etc.) I will pay more attention to it. OTOH, I will not take a beer off the yeast if there is any question in my mind about gravity. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users