6 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

I just used US-05 for the first time in a dry stout. I fermenter was at 66-68F. Is this a little too warm for this yeast? It's been almost a week and I just did a quick airlock hit by pressing on the top of my bucket a little and it smells a little fruity/estery in there.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:03 AM

I fermented an Imperial IPA an Imperial Amber Ale and Earthtone's Dry Stout with US-05 along with a Rye Pale Ale and they all turned out great. I fermented mine at those temperatures as well. I got good FG for all 1.012-1.014 for all 4 beers. Remember smells from the airlock don't mean too much when fermentation is going on since so much is happening in there. I think you will be fine.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

That's just right for this yeast. However, depending on how you measured the actual temp inside the ferment may have been up to 5F higher. 72-73F starts to get a little fruity for this yeast, but even then it's not anything like the fruitiness you'd get from an English yeast.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

That's just right for this yeast. However, depending on how you measured the actual temp inside the ferment may have been up to 5F higher. 72-73F starts to get a little fruity for this yeast, but even then it's not anything like the fruitiness you'd get from an English yeast.

I use stick on thermometers. I thought these were fairly accurate for measuring fermentation temps...

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

I use stick on thermometers. I thought these were fairly accurate for measuring fermentation temps...

They are. You should be good to go. Like ncbeerbrewer said, I wouldn't worry too much about the smell from the airlock.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54196 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Zym: You know how you take a whiff of primary and it smells lovely when things are rocking but then later on, the smell changes? I don't think you can gauge the beer based on that late-primary aroma. 66-68° seems absolutely reasonable for that yeast. The only thing I keep hearing about US-05 (I've used it once) is that it's a big attenuater and the beer ends up pretty dry. Some suggest mashing higher (depending on style) so you can get around that issue. I think I fermented mine a little cooler (~62°) and it was extremely clean... but drier than a 1056 or White Labs 01 batch. Good luck & let us know how it comes out.

#7 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

OT: I have a batch of Alt fermenting with 1007 and my lady can't stand the smell in the back hall. I have no doubt it'll turn out to be a fantastic beer though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users