#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

I brewed 13 gallons of kolsch yesterday, I had some slurry from wyeast's kolsch II from last june. I made my starter sunday and on tuesday morning I had nothing but a settled slurry and wort non-fermented. Checked the gravity and nothing. dead yaest. So I brewed anyhow, and pitched some t-58 instead. Won't quite be a kolsch, but should still be delicious. Being lazy after cleanup, I just let my starter sit. Last night I noticed a little activity starting, so I let it go just to see. Today, a nice krausen, and the cake has doubled just about. Now I usually only brew a kolsch once maybe twice a year. Should I dump this, being the slow starter, or is this new generation something worthwhile to keep and harvest?Posted Image

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

I say keep it and brew something with it, even if it's not a kolsch. I think it's unlikely that the resulting beer would be disgusting or anything, and you never know how good it might be. Such is the adventure of homebrewing.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

I say keep it and brew something with it, even if it's not a kolsch. I think it's unlikely that the resulting beer would be disgusting or anything, and you never know how good it might be. Such is the adventure of homebrewing.

=1a kolsch yeast should make a fine IPA or APA. maybe even a North German Alt?

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

I've had some 3 day starters with some older but well stored yeast. Taste and smell, I would chill, and decant though. And maybe another starter if you're going to wait a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users