#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

Well the good news is I got my results very quickly, Took the exam mid-november, and got them today, so less than 4 full months- I really wasnt expecting them until may/juneish. Bad news is I only scored a 67 :P 66 on the essay, and 70 on the tasting. Needless to say I was very disappointed. and I had walked away from the exam thinking in my head that I had an upper 70-lower 80 peformance. (ironically one of the comments in the feedback was that I give things in ranges, but to be more specific- ha!) I have to say, the comments in the feedback are outstanding, and they really let you know what you missed. They are also very encouraging and say for the most part I nailed the question, HOWEVER- this is what I skipped. So the small little details are of huge importance. Because I already have the experience points to be a certified level, now I am 3 points away, I will definitely be doing a re-take, and I am trying for later this year, (exam in NYC) We have discussed the preparation for the exam in the past, and lots of great points were made- I cannot emphasize enough how important the exam layout prep is just as important as the knowledge you convey. Study the layout and master that.

#2 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

Congratulations!You can also retake just the written or just the tasting if you want.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Congrats! Sounds like you have a plan to get it wrapped up!

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

Doh! Sorry to hear that!Keep at it bro. You will get it next time.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

Well the good news is I got my results very quickly, Took the exam mid-november, and got them today, so less than 4 full months- I really wasnt expecting them until may/juneish. Bad news is I only scored a 67 :smilielol: 66 on the essay, and 70 on the tasting. Needless to say I was very disappointed. and I had walked away from the exam thinking in my head that I had an upper 70-lower 80 peformance. (ironically one of the comments in the feedback was that I give things in ranges, but to be more specific- ha!) I have to say, the comments in the feedback are outstanding, and they really let you know what you missed. They are also very encouraging and say for the most part I nailed the question, HOWEVER- this is what I skipped. So the small little details are of huge importance. Because I already have the experience points to be a certified level, now I am 3 points away, I will definitely be doing a re-take, and I am trying for later this year, (exam in NYC) We have discussed the preparation for the exam in the past, and lots of great points were made- I cannot emphasize enough how important the exam layout prep is just as important as the knowledge you convey. Study the layout and master that.

How much does it cost to take the test?

#6 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

How much does it cost to take the test?

$50 the first time around, then if you want to retake, it is an additional $35. You can take just one portion on the retake- essay or evaluation- or both. If I do the retake soon, I will take both parts. Now knowing the layout, and having the ability to read the graders comments, I will be able to structure comments and knowledge catered to what scores well. It would make sense to improve both areas. I just loathe the 2.5-3 hour drive to NYC.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

$50 the first time around, then if you want to retake, it is an additional $35. You can take just one portion on the retake- essay or evaluation- or both. If I do the retake soon, I will take both parts. Now knowing the layout, and having the ability to read the graders comments, I will be able to structure comments and knowledge catered to what scores well. It would make sense to improve both areas. I just loathe the 2.5-3 hour drive to NYC.

Did you have to drive to NYC the first time around as well?

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Did you have to drive to NYC the first time around as well?

No there is a homebrew club in Deerfield that has 2 master judges, they are founding members of the BJCP. I found out they were proctoring the exam, so I took it there. The hardest part is there are only so many per year, and it is difficult to find anything close, this one was a blessing they were doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users