#1 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hey all,I have a quick question. A friend drank three of my ciders and claims that it caused her to shit her pants. It was one normal cider and two peach ciders made with Oregon puree. I am under the assumption that nothing like that could live in a fermented liquid.Has anyone ever heard of something like this??

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

The ABV was pretty standard, about 5% IIRC. People have had them before, but not for a while. I made 10 Gals of cider and split half into different flavors. They just finished the standard cider but now are starting on the fruit ciders. I'm still thinking it wasn't the cider but am just wondering about other's oppinions.Thanks!

#3 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Did she drink a lot of lees? Lees give me the squirts, and quickly.

#4 fatbloke

fatbloke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK - South Coast

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

5% ABV is like a low alcohol cider or just a "normal" (ish) beer here. It's one of the reasons that beers and ciders are made for reasonably quick consumption after manufacture. There's not enough alcohol in them to last very long. Yes they do go bad/deteriorate.I think you'd find that something has to be something like at least 10% alcohol before it offers long term protection/preservative type qualities.So, I'd suggest that it's possible, but it's also more likely that your friend got the shits somewhere else. If an environmental health officer came into most of our houses, one inspection of the kitchen would qualify you for an immediate closure notice. We all like to think that we keep our places clean etc, but invariably you'll find fridges at the wrong temperature, poorly cooked meats and other "sensitive" items and a host of other potential contaminants. Yet we live with these, quite healthily, day in day out. Someone else might visit and bingo, they get a dose of the shits.......That said, if the ciders taste Ok then they're probably fine. You can usually tell by smell or taste if they're going off.

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

Yea, I'm pretty sure the cider is safe, so she might have gotten alot of the lees. I actually don't drink the ciders since I have too much beer laying around. I might have to drink a few tonight just to prove her wrong...I'll get back to you guys later, and if I don't you'll know it's because I died of epic diarrhea.

#6 43hertz

43hertz

Gold Star Recipient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

How much residual sugar?My wife reacts the same way when she drinks straight apple juice. All that sugar pulls lots of water out of her system and dumps it into her colon.

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

How much residual sugar?My wife reacts the same way when she drinks straight apple juice. All that sugar pulls lots of water out of her system and dumps it into her colon.

Oh, sorry. I don't check the wine forum too often. That cider fermented all the way down and finished some where under 1.0. I don't know how to bottle condition and back sweeten.

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25634 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

Plain old fresh press cider can give me the hershey squirts. I think cider is a good source of fiber.Add to that laxative affects of yeast and she might have gotten a good natural colon rinse.I am pretty sure it was all natural and doubt any of was because of some sort of poison.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

You're probably right. It was fresh pressed from a local farm.

#10 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

I am under the assumption that nothing like that could live in a fermented liquid.

Yeast evolved to attack drops of fruit juice from rotting fruit, and immediately claim that fruit juice for the yeast. The method of claiming was to make alcohol and lower the pH, so that no other microbes could eat the yeast's food. The 5% abv seems low to us, but in the natural world that's really high, something that doesn't occur without yeast. Not many microbes can get past even 5% abv and the pH of 3 or 4 in a fermented beverage.Yeast's self defense mechanism isn't perfect. There are a few microbes that can live in fermented beer or cider, but all the ones I know of smell and taste like raw sewage. I doubt that your lady friend got sick from your cider if it tasted good enough for her to drink three.On the other hand, natural fiber from the apples and that natural laxative effect of yeast could have had an affect on her, especially if she didn't normally get a lot of fiber in her diet.

#11 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

I get the squirts from plain ol' apple juice, I ferment it to make it drinkable for me :blink:

#12 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I get the squirts from plain ol' apple juice, I ferment it to make it drinkable for me :blink:

my day is now complete. thanks for sharing :covreyes:

#13 43hertz

43hertz

Gold Star Recipient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

I get the squirts from plain ol' apple juice, I ferment it to make it drinkable for me :frank:

That's the same thing I'm talking about with my wife.If she drinks it straight, it's splattershat. Fermented to where it removes some sugar it's fine.I think with saltwater they call that edema, but I don't know if the terminology is the same with excess sugar.You'd probably have to look up edema to suss the difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users