#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

I don't know if if would buy this ,just wondering what others thought of this.https://www.williamsbrewing.com/HOP_AROMA_TABS_1_OUNCE__P2565.cfm

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

Wow...so basically dry hopping plugs...I would maybe try them if you could get them for separate hops strains.

#3 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

My understanding is that these are already being used in some commercial brews, but I don't know which ones. Seems like a great way to get dry-hop aroma without all the mess of dealing with actual hops, since the tablets just dissolve in the tank.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54184 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Wow. What a great idea. Admit it, homebrewers... one thing you hate about dry hopping is the mess of shoving leaf hops (or even pellets!) into the neck of a carboy, etc. I would totally try those. Totally. No, I mean it.

#5 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

I'd be all about those thingies! Cool!

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

So, here is what I don't understand... will there be hops material in the beer???I had a bottle of a Pale Ale on an Alaskan Airlines flight about a year ago and it clearly had hops materials in it. Damn tasty and I've been trying to figure out exactly how they did it. Maybe this was it???Only problem is I can't remember the name of the brewery... it was some genericy rivery outdoorsy type thing.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54184 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

I thought the description said to add them at flameout or in the "fermenter" which I take to mean primary. If you did this, I assume you wouldn't have hop material in your beerglass. But if you added them to secondary... Hmm, not sure. Okay, put them in a muslin bag first. Unless, of course, you want hops in your beerglass. :devil:

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

I thought the description said to add them at flameout or in the "fermenter" which I take to mean primary. If you did this, I assume you wouldn't have hop material in your beerglass. But if you added them to secondary... Hmm, not sure. Okay, put them in a muslin bag first. Unless, of course, you want hops in your beerglass. :devil:

That was the odd thing about it... the hops material in the glass was surprisingly good!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54184 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

That was the odd thing about it... the hops material in the glass was surprisingly good!

Wow. I can't say that I have ever experienced that. And you forgot the beer and the brewery name? :devil: DOH!

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Wow. I can't say that I have ever experienced that. And you forgot the beer and the brewery name? :devil: DOH!

I was at "altitude" and my son was sitting across the aisle with my wife... so I was really enjoying the flight! :smilielol:

#11 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Alaska Air does have decent beer on their flights. Usually it's Alaska Brewing - their Amber, Kolsch or something of that nature, but it sounds like it could have been something else in that case. At any rate, I doubt it was a hop tablet as they don't contain any plant material, but I guess it could have been part of a tablet that was added before bottling and that didn't dissolve completely.These are tablets that dissolve in the wort/beer. You could dose a secondary fermenter, or a keg even. This thread got me interested in learning more about these (thanks kegdude!) and in looking around I did find one thread on a pro brewers forum where some breweries were moving away from using these after experimenting with them for a while as certain distinctive aromas always came through with the hop tablets - i.e. you could tell when they'd been used in a beer. I'd still give them a try sometime though.

#12 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11687 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

A probrewer was in our homebrew club back in IA around 2004. He handed out a bunch of these to try. IIRC, they came in a roll like mentos. Neverm tried it, but did get my roomate to eat one...

#13 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

I am not a fan of dry hopping. I find that dry hopping gives beer a grassy, fresh mowed lawn charector, (grassy aroma and grassy taste) then disapates along with the hop aroma. [I know. I know. You dry hop all the time, you you love it, you never get the grassy.....blah-blah-yadda-yadda. Yes, I am in the minority.]If these things gave a hop aroma and no grassy, I would use them. I would like to read some body's real world usage and experience with this stuff.zymot

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

I am not a fan of dry hopping. I find that dry hopping gives beer a grassy, fresh mowed lawn charector, (grassy aroma and grassy taste) then disapates along with the hop aroma. [I know. I know. You dry hop all the time, you you love it, you never get the grassy.....blah-blah-yadda-yadda. Yes, I am in the minority.]If these things gave a hop aroma and no grassy, I would use them. I would like to read some body's real world usage and experience with this stuff.zymot

How long would you dry hop for and what types of hops did you use?

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

How long would you dry hop for and what types of hops did you use?

I have tried all kinds, mostly the traditional aroma hops. I have done 1 week, 2 weeks. It is not for me. I dump my hops in at flame out.zymot

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have tried all kinds, mostly the traditional aroma hops. I have done 1 week, 2 weeks. It is not for me. I dump my hops in at flame out.zymot

ahh alright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users