Photo
- - - - -

What should I brew with Kolsch yeast cake?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

I know I don't want to brew another Kolsch - got 10 gallons of that ready to go into kegs in the next couple days. This is the WLP029 yeast which is the PJ Frueh strain according to Mr Malty. According to White Labs: WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch YeastFrom a small brewpub in Cologne, Germany, this yeast works great in Kölsch and Alt style beers. Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale. Attenuation: 72-78%Flocculation: MediumOptimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°FDoes not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation.Alcohol Tolerance: MediumAny ideas, recipes? Thanks in advance.

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Alt would be an obvious choice.A long time ago I did sort of a pseudo-Schwarzbier with that yeast. It was pretty good. An American wheat would be another good choice, but you probably don't want that if you've already got 10 gallons of Kolsch. I've also heard of people making IPAs with that strain.

#3 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

Maybe a Cream Ale? Although I want to side with Howie and suggest an Alt.... yum....

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

Good ideas - thanks. CMS & Howie - just had a big malty amber and a cream ale in my last rotation (still finishing them off) and so I am leaning so far towards IPA which sounds intriguing with this yeast.Rye is out for this one (wife's allergic, turns out) or I'd be thinking some of that might go nicely with this one.

#5 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

Good ideas - thanks. CMS & Howie - just had a big malty amber and a cream ale in my last rotation (still finishing them off) and so I am leaning so far towards IPA which sounds intriguing with this yeast.Rye is out for this one (wife's allergic, turns out) or I'd be thinking some of that might go nicely with this one.

I'll sceond that motion :smilielol: Alt and or an Ipacan you split the yeast up and brew 5 of ea.? :devil: just a thought.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54243 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Fruit beer! :devil:Go to the store and get 2 or 3 of those small packages of fresh raspberries. Freeze them, then thaw them, blend them, heat them to 160° for 20 mins and funnel into the secondary and then rack your base beer (American Wheat?) onto those for 2-3 weeks. Hey-o, Raspberry Wheat beer.

#7 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Something dark, robust or baltic porter sound pretty good to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users