#1 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationThe Upside down

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

Has anyone tried this Impy Stout? Sometimes lack of availability lends a mystique that wouldn't be there even if the same product was easy to get. Being a big fan of stouts, was curious if this should be one I should be looking for (Oh, and Sexual Chocolate too...the name alone...)Interview with Brewmaster

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

Has anyone tried this Impy Stout? Sometimes lack of availability lends a mystique that wouldn't be there even if the same product was easy to get. Being a big fan of stouts, was curious if this should be one I should be looking for (Oh, and Sexual Chocolate too...the name alone...)Interview with Brewmaster

I haven't had it but I'm not sure I could handle the crowd when they pull it out. It seems like a mess - read a little bit here: My linknote: check the comments out

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

Had Foothills Sexual Chocolate at Brewvival last weekend.....GREAT and we have it on tap here in Hilton Head.Also tasted The Bruery Black Tuesday at a tasting in Savannah a week ago....WONDERFUL!Look to get both if possible.

#4 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

I haven't had it but I'm not sure I could handle the crowd when they pull it out. It seems like a mess - read a little bit here: My linknote: check the comments out

Yes, seems like it was a jam. That's what buzz does. Glad to see craft brewing getting this kind of attention, but yowza.

#5 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

Had Foothills Sexual Chocolate at Brewvival last weekend.....GREAT and we have it on tap here in Hilton Head.Also tasted The Bruery Black Tuesday at a tasting in Savannah a week ago....WONDERFUL!Look to get both if possible.

Thanks! Will keep my eyes peeled for both.Appears the same deal happened with Black Tuesday on it's last release as with Kate.Black Tuesday at the The BrueryI'm in Savannah semi-regularly, will definitely look for it when I'm there.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:59 AM

I was there on Monday. And yes it was crowded. Actually got in line at 4AM to get my ticket. Only waited about 30 minutes seeing they started to hand them out at 4:30. Went to Smuttynose after I got my bottles at 9AM and then headed back to PB to get Kate on tap. Had to wait in line but it was not to bad and was able to get into the lower bar. Kate was really good. I think it will be even better with some age on it but it was very balanced. Some said it was sweet but I did not think so. With that said the other beers there are very good too. I took home a growler of the Imp Porter and I think it was rivaling Kate that day. I was surprised I was able to deal with the crowds seeing I hate crowds and most people ..LOL .. but it was a good time. Talked beer with people from all over. Not sure if I will be back for 2011 though.Oh and the Flanders Red they had on tap was tasty too.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

I was there on Monday. And yes it was crowded. Actually got in line at 4AM to get my ticket. Only waited about 30 minutes seeing they started to hand them out at 4:30. Went to Smuttynose after I got my bottles at 9AM and then headed back to PB to get Kate on tap. Had to wait in line but it was not to bad and was able to get into the lower bar. Kate was really good. I think it will be even better with some age on it but it was very balanced. Some said it was sweet but I did not think so. With that said the other beers there are very good too. I took home a growler of the Imp Porter and I think it was rivaling Kate that day. I was surprised I was able to deal with the crowds seeing I hate crowds and most people ..LOL .. but it was a good time. Talked beer with people from all over. Not sure if I will be back for 2011 though.Oh and the Flanders Red they had on tap was tasty too.

Yeah - that's the other reason I haven't done it. I can't bail out of work to get get a beer that's an hour away.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

Yeah - that's the other reason I haven't done it. I can't bail out of work to get get a beer that's an hour away.

It was 2 hours for me and I actualy took a vacation day for it. It was one of those thing like GABF I said I wanted to experiance and did. With that said I cannot believe that some one handed over a 100 bucks for a bottle and that bottles are going on eBay for 140 bucks.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

It was 2 hours for me and I actualy took a vacation day for it. It was one of those thing like GABF I said I wanted to experiance and did. With that said I cannot believe that some one handed over a 100 bucks for a bottle and that bottles are going on eBay for 140 bucks.

is $100 the brewery price or the scalper price?

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

is $100 the brewery price or the scalper price?

It cost 10 per bottle with a bottle limit of 2. So the brew pub was charging 20 bucks for the 2 bottles you could buy. There were people there that did not get tickets and were walking up to people with bottles and offering them a 100 bucks for a bottle.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

It cost 10 per bottle with a bottle limit of 2. So the brew pub was charging 20 bucks for the 2 bottles you could buy. There were people there that did not get tickets and were walking up to people with bottles and offering them a 100 bucks for a bottle.

pretty good ROI there.

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

Seriously, get paid $80 to take a morning off of work and come home with a free bottle of Kate, not a bad deal at all! I will definitely be going to 2011 now!

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64145 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I used to work in the HBS across the street. I've had their Impy stout many times, I think it's the same one they now call KtG. My memory is a little hazy, but I think I was working down there the first time they released the Impy. I didn't even realize it's become a big thing.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

I used to work in the HBS across the street. I've had their Impy stout many times, I think it's the same one they now call KtG. My memory is a little hazy, but I think I was working down there the first time they released the Impy. I didn't even realize it's become a big thing.

If that is the case I have had it before. I thought it was good but I guess I'm not a huge impy stout guy. I'm sure it also varies year to year...

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Seriously, get paid $80 to take a morning off of work and come home with a free bottle of Kate, not a bad deal at all! I will definitely be going to 2011 now!

I think 2011 will be different than this year. The cops were not happy with the lines on the sidewalks at 4 am .. they were taking many pictures and what not. Not sure what the beef was because there were no open containers and everyone was behaving.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

I think 2011 will be different than this year. The cops were not happy with the lines on the sidewalks at 4 am .. they were taking many pictures and what not. Not sure what the beef was because there were no open containers and everyone was behaving.

The cops were taking pictures?

#17 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

Sounds like back when I used to wait for Umass/Temple tickets outside the cage. (except for the no open containers and behaving :cheers: )

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like back when I used to wait for Umass/Temple tickets outside the cage. (except for the no open containers and behaving :chug: )

Those were the days!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users