#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

So I made my first lager (Vienna) and it has been lagering since Feb 8th in the garage...well Colorado loves to give me a wide variety of temp fluctuation...It started out a really cold week and got down to about 32-34 stayed there for probably a week and a half and then temp came up a little bringing it to 40 then temps came up a little more and a few days ago it was at 46...What are the huge effects of temp fluctuation during lagering?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54277 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

I think that within the cooler ranges, it will be okay. I would hate to see it go from 28° to 71° within a week, but as long as it's cool, I think it will be fine. I used to do the same thing (put my secondaries out in the garage in the winter) but my kids have knocked the stopper & airlock off the carboy, exposing the beer and ruining the batch... so I stopped that practice. If you begin to get some warmer weather out there, you may consider putting it someplace more consistent... basement if you have one. Btw... when my lagers come out of primary and go to secondary, they sit on my cool basement floor. This time of year, that means about 50-55°. Eventually, they go to a keg and get chilled down to about 35° and they get carbed and then sit there in the spare fridge at that temp until there's room in the draft fridge. Not ideal, but it works. Cheers.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

Good to know...I need to go in there and check the temp now...we have been sunny and in the 50s for a few days and probably a few more days going forward...the sun will probably warm the garage a little more than the ambient temp. I have one mini fridge and it is used for primaries so I really have no other option then do use good ole mother nature. I was guessing when I put in in there I would have at least another month and a half of 35-45 degree temps...I have a dark little room in the basement that is at about 48-50 degrees and that is where I fermented it...hopefully I'll get 2-3 more weeks of <50 degree temps and I can call it good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users