#1 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

I am thinking about converting 2 corny kegs to primary fermenters and moving to 8 gallon batches. Aside from cutting the liquid dip tube, what modifications should I make to them? I have seen all sorts of things posted on the inter-web including drilling out the gas connect, installing thermowells where the pressure release valve is, etc.How do people that ferment in kegs control fermentation temps? I currently do not have a chest freezer for fermentation and am just using a modified Igloo Ice Cube cooler for fermentation.Thanks

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I am thinking about converting 2 corny kegs to primary fermenters and moving to 8 gallon batches. Aside from cutting the liquid dip tube, what modifications should I make to them? I have seen all sorts of things posted on the inter-web including drilling out the gas connect, installing thermowells where the pressure release valve is, etc.How do people that ferment in kegs control fermentation temps? I currently do not have a chest freezer for fermentation and am just using a modified Igloo Ice Cube cooler for fermentation.Thanks

I think you can buy a corny lid that is retrofitted to have a fermentation lock on it. However, I think you could (and should) use a blow-off tube to play it safe. Just my $0.02

#3 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

I love fermenting in 5 gallon cornies!I got an extra beer-out diptube or 2 to cut 1" off. CHI company in California sells them for ~$5. I transfer the wort right into the corny via the beer-out diptube. The blow-off is simply a grey QD on the gas-in post with the end of the hose in a half-filled growler. When fermentation is finished, simply transfer the beer to another keg with CO2. Easy squeezy.You don't get 5 gallons of finished beer per 5 gallon corny. Maybe 4+. Some use 10 gallon or 15 gallon cornies for this reason. I brew out back and need to carry them down my 100 year old basement stairs, so the bigger ones don't work. And you can't watch the action, but you can still count bubbles.Got any questions let me know. I haven't used a glass carboy or bucket in I don't know how long.Brew on :rolf:

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Could you do without an airlock and just let it build up pressure? I've wondered about that. Then after 14 days just do a corny to corny transfer for secondary/cold crashing.

#5 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

I think you could, but I wouldn't even attempt that without first doing crazy research about it. If you let it just pressurize, I'm sure it would eventually blow up!

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:14 AM

I think you could, but I wouldn't even attempt that without first doing crazy research about it. If you let it just pressurize, I'm sure it would eventually blow up!

I suspect you'd want to vent CO2 for the start of primary and then lock it down as terminal gravity is approached. Think about how little sugar has to be added to prime 5 gallons for bottling. If someone knows about how much potential 3-4oz of corn sugar has this would give you an idea about what point in fermentation you'd have to close that thing up.

#7 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:50 AM

I think I remember something from the old board, where Oldfart said he's experimented with fermenting at pressures up to about 35 psi. I tried searching for it, but it's buried somewhere in that 45 pg thread on making & storing your own CO2. That would certainly indicate closing it up & "burping" periodically might work.

#8 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

I did my first batch in a corny a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool. I did a 3 gallon batch just to try it out. I hope to do a nine gallon batch tonight and split between two cornies (leave a half gallon in the kettle, then 4.25 to each corny). I plan to use Fermcap.I had my dip tube trimmed about 3/4". I probably need to trim it a bit more, as it still pulled a lot of yeast. As tag mentioned, there are several places to buy replacement dip tubes on the cheap, so you are "ruining" your keg.For blowoff, I simply put a QD on the gas post and run a hose into a jar of StarSan. If you do any other method, then you are missing out on one of the benefits of fermenting in cornies - minimizing oxygen exposure!! For temp control, I have a wine fridge that holds two cornies. I tape the probe of the Johnson controller right to the outside of the corny.The absolute best part is racking. I used to HATE racking beer. Now all I do is hook up a jumper to another clean and sanitized keg and transfer under pressure.To harvest the yeast. . .once I'm done transferring the beer, I disconnect everything, open up the top of the keg and dump in a quart of sterilized water. Then I hook everything back up, shake the keg a bit, and pump the yeast into a clean jar.

#9 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

I did my first batch in a corny a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool. I did a 3 gallon batch just to try it out. I hope to do a nine gallon batch tonight and split between two cornies (leave a half gallon in the kettle, then 4.25 to each corny). I plan to use Fermcap.I had my dip tube trimmed about 3/4". I probably need to trim it a bit more, as it still pulled a lot of yeast. As tag mentioned, there are several places to buy replacement dip tubes on the cheap, so you are "ruining" your keg.For blowoff, I simply put a QD on the gas post and run a hose into a jar of StarSan. If you do any other method, then you are missing out on one of the benefits of fermenting in cornies - minimizing oxygen exposure!! For temp control, I have a wine fridge that holds two cornies. I tape the probe of the Johnson controller right to the outside of the corny.The absolute best part is racking. I used to HATE racking beer. Now all I do is hook up a jumper to another clean and sanitized keg and transfer under pressure.To harvest the yeast. . .once I'm done transferring the beer, I disconnect everything, open up the top of the keg and dump in a quart of sterilized water. Then I hook everything back up, shake the keg a bit, and pump the yeast into a clean jar.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users