#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

We've had a pretty decent amount of rain, and it's been warming up a bit too. So I went out in the backyard and saw that my Mt. Hood (this will be year 3) already has about 20 buds coming up... probably about 1/4 long already. Is it too late to split it? I probably should have done this last fall I suppose. My Fuggles is already starting to grow too. It is in year 2 and and is already close to 6 inches. Has anybody else experienced this yet? Also... could really use the advice on the Mt. Hood. Is it too late to dig it out and split it?

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

We've had a pretty decent amount of rain, and it's been warming up a bit too. So I went out in the backyard and saw that my Mt. Hood (this will be year 3) already has about 20 buds coming up... probably about 1/4 long already. Is it too late to split it? I probably should have done this last fall I suppose. My Fuggles is already starting to grow too. It is in year 2 and and is already close to 6 inches. Has anybody else experienced this yet? Also... could really use the advice on the Mt. Hood. Is it too late to dig it out and split it?

I have a great deal of work to do in my backyard this year. I think I'm going to try my hand at growing some hops. Do you have to do anything to winterize them to protect them from the few times it gets to freezing here?

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:52 PM

I have a great deal of work to do in my backyard this year. I think I'm going to try my hand at growing some hops. Do you have to do anything to winterize them to protect them from the few times it gets to freezing here?

I didn't even trim the dead bines until about a month or so ago. No, I didn't do anything special to them. Wish I could get you a trimming from my Mt. Hood because it has killer sized buds coming out of it. These bad boys are at least 1/8 inch in diameter. Real strong looking. I'm sure Tracy would be a bit far to go just to get a trimming. You'd spend more in gas. Who is your LHBS? They should probably be taking orders for hops.

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

I didn't even trim the dead bines until about a month or so ago. No, I didn't do anything special to them. Wish I could get you a trimming from my Mt. Hood because it has killer sized buds coming out of it. These bad boys are at least 1/8 inch in diameter. Real strong looking. I'm sure Tracy would be a bit far to go just to get a trimming. You'd spend more in gas. Who is your LHBS? They should probably be taking orders for hops.

Yep, they are taking orders for Rhizomes right now at www.thebeveragepeople.com owned by Byron Burch. :frank:

Edited by badogg, 02 March 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#5 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

When you say split it, you mean cut the roots? I would think that you would be OK. Not that I have any evidence to back up my thought, but still. It is only the beginning of March. :frank:

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

When you say split it, you mean cut the roots? I would think that you would be OK. Not that I have any evidence to back up my thought, but still. It is only the beginning of March. :rolf:

Exactly this. I've got a buddy at work who is just starting to get into brewing, and I'd like to give him a rhizome. If it's too late, then we'll just do it in the fall.

#7 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Exactly this. I've got a buddy at work who is just starting to get into brewing, and I'd like to give him a rhizome. If it's too late, then we'll just do it in the fall.

I'm pretty sure the commercial growers trim for rhizomes in the spring, but as far as exactly when, if anything is dependent on an "early spring" or your latitude I dunno. I think you'd be OK to make some clippings. My $0.02

#8 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

I haven't been out in the garden to look. I try to avoid compressing the soil this time of year, so I let the garden dry out a little before venturing in.

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

I've been doing quite a bit of work in my garden this year. My rhizomes are beginning to bud already, but I placed some compost on top to protect it for a bit longer, and none of the buds have gone through the compost yet. This will be the second year that they have been in the ground. I have 9 centennial, and 15 cascades. Once they get to 6-10 inches long, I will go ahead and string up the trellis for them. In the mean time, I need to plant the rest of my vegetables and herbs.

#10 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

I moved this year, so no hop garden yet. Post some pics guys if it's not too much bother. Love to see those little buggers!!!

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

I haven't been out in the garden to look. I try to avoid compressing the soil this time of year, so I let the garden dry out a little before venturing in.

My Glacier is up under the mulch, no sprouts from the Willamette or Sterling yet though.

#12 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

I'm on my third year with my fuggles. Last year they shot up CRAZY! Can't wait for my harvest this year

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:49 AM

I've got a few cascades starting to poke through from one crown. The other I'm not seeing anything yet but it was the less healthy plant last year...

#14 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

I'm hoping to see my chinook sprout soon. I need to go get some new stakes for the strings.

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

After last year's trellis disaster, I'm working on a new concept.I'm going to dig a small footer and put in a piece of 8-12" dia. Sonotube and finish it off a few inches above the ground.On top of that I'll put a post mount bracket.Then I think splicing 2x4s together to make a 22' long pole, staggering the joints.Possibly put a 6-12" outrigger on the top to which I'll mount the pulleys.It will be strapped to the deck about 5' from the ground.The things we do for this hobby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users