#1 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Which is pretty much bottled wort and can be used as a starter its 1.090 per 8oz thats right.... 1.090, so be sure to water it down.

Edited by CMS, 28 February 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

Nice, how was that measured?

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up Carlos!I've always wanted to know but have been too lazy to actually figure it out. I've used the stuff before too diluted half with water, so I guess I wasn't too far off!

#4 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

Nice, how was that measured?

Straight hydro reading. Getting ready to make a starter and didn't want to bust out my mini mash tun and crush some grain. So I looked I'm the fridge and there it was.

#5 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12436 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

Have never seen that stuff around here. :cheers:

#6 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Really BJ? I have 2 chain grocery stores in town. Both carry it. I'm going to guess that the 3 Hispanic stores also carry it. 1.090 seems a little high. I thought it was closer to 1.060??

#7 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

was surprised as well. But if you ever drank it and I have. It's beyond syrupy and sweet. I'll take another reading just to make sure tomorrow.

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

I have 2 chain grocery stores in town. Both carry it. I'm going to guess that the 3 Hispanic stores also carry it.

Say it with me boys & girls.... Bodega. I think all 3 bodegas on my block carry it.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

Say it with me boys & girls.... Bodega. I think all 3 bodegas on my block carry it.

Say it with me Chuck... most of us don't live in urban areas that have bodegas. But I see this stuff at pretty much any grocery store that has an "ethnic" aisle.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Say it with me Chuck... most of us don't live in urban areas that have bodegas. But I see this stuff at pretty much any grocery store that has an "ethnic" aisle.

Call it Walmart. I know they carry it for sure. I used to do a few starters from this stuff. Worked fine as well.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

Straight hydro reading. Getting ready to make a starter and didn't want to bust out my mini mash tun and crush some grain. So I looked I'm the fridge and there it was.

Am assuming you had that warmed up to 60 degrees after pulling it out of the fridge...

#12 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12436 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, I always take a good look at the ethnic aisles around here and have yet to see it. I haven't checked out any specialty hispanic stores though.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Is this stuff carbonated? If so wouldn't that effect the reading?Is this stuff sanitary out of the bottle?I might have to be on the lookout for it...if a bottle is cheaper than the DME to make a starter i wouldn't mind doing this all the time.

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'm not sure it's cheaper, but it sure is easy. I've used it right out of the bottle and it didn't cause an infection, so I assume it's clean...but then again, that's an assumption.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Is this stuff carbonated? If so wouldn't that effect the reading?Is this stuff sanitary out of the bottle?I might have to be on the lookout for it...if a bottle is cheaper than the DME to make a starter i wouldn't mind doing this all the time.

It's carbed. I assume it's sanitary or there would be bottlebombs all over the place. I've used it once, it was more expensive than DME.

#16 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

As dj said it is carbed, but only slightly. I used to use this a lot. I never measured the OG before dilution, but I would mix at the ratio of 1 12oz bottle to 1 cup of water, and that gave me about an .040 wort. I use 1 gallon glass wine jugs for starters, so I would dump in 3 bottles, and 3 cups of distilled water, then shake it to degas it few times, and allow it to settle, then pitch. It does work well, and is very convenient, however it will stain. If used in a dark beer OK, however it will raise the SRM, so on light beers, you would need to factor that in.

#17 nigel

nigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

Which is pretty much bottled wort and can be used as a starter its 1.090 per 8oz thats right.... 1.090, so be sure to water it down.

Am I to understand that you've actually BREWED a batch of malta, by chance? I'm a huge fan, actually, and have searched the Web but have only found one recipe by a homebrewer and, alas, it's an all-grain version (I'm doing extract brewing with no possibility to do all-grain at present).Anyone out there brew up some as an extract batch? I'm sure it's easy enough, and would definitely do it if I had a recipe.Thanks!

#18 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

Am I to understand that you've actually BREWED a batch of malta, by chance? I'm a huge fan, actually, and have searched the Web but have only found one recipe by a homebrewer and, alas, it's an all-grain version (I'm doing extract brewing with no possibility to do all-grain at present).Anyone out there brew up some as an extract batch? I'm sure it's easy enough, and would definitely do it if I had a recipe.Thanks!

No sir I didnt brew a batch of Malta, I ve never really liked the taste from it. But I do keep it on hand along with DME to make quick starters if need be.

#19 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Where did you find it, DJ? Years ago I went into a Mexican grocery store on Quivira in Lenexa and they had none and had no idea what I was talking about.

Edited by stangbat, 02 March 2010 - 04:38 PM.

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Where did you find it, DJ? Years ago I went into a Mexican grocery store on Quivira in Lenexa and they had none and had no idea what I was talking about.

Well, they didn't at the one I found it at either, since I don't speak any spanish except for beer and bathrooms. Posted Image One of the local Hispanic marts close by. I don't remember which one but it took a couple tries. I was out of dry extract and to lazy to make an AG starter that evening. Should have, considering the time I spent.We need to have a canning session. I have an All American now but haven't used it except to test it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users