#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

So, after 26 years it's time to brew another lager. I assume nothing changed much.Posted Image Just stepped up a starter of '06 wyeast 2308. Kinda surprised, once the pack swelled it went quick. I had what looks like the amount of yeast I would get from an ale yeast in a 2.5L starter on a stirplate. Just poured off the liquor, that yeast really pancaked, and threw another 3L of starter on it - stirplate again. So I guess my yeast amount will be OK. It seems like a Vienna Lager would be a good start for a run with this yeast. But I would take suggestions too. Guess I need to make a recipe too.Ferment ~50 - 52df, see if it needs a D rest once I hit 75% of expected attenuation? Finish and lager the sucker? With my usual routine ales may sit a while before cold conditioning. I'm assuming this would be a problem and once I'm ready to keg this one. Do I need to go straight to lagering temps once it's out of the fermenter? FWIW if I don't it will be sitting at ~70df if I leave it in the basement.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

So, after 26 years it's time to brew another lager. I assume nothing changed much.Posted Image Just stepped up a starter of '06 wyeast 2308. Kinda surprised, once the pack swelled it went quick. I had what looks like the amount of yeast I would get from an ale yeast in a 2.5L starter on a stirplate. Just poured off the liquor, that yeast really pancaked, and threw another 3L of starter on it - stirplate again. So I guess my yeast amount will be OK. It seems like a Vienna Lager would be a good start for a run with this yeast. But I would take suggestions too. Guess I need to make a recipe too.Ferment ~50 - 52df, see if it needs a D rest once I hit 75% of expected attenuation? Finish and lager the sucker? With my usual routine ales may sit a while before cold conditioning. I'm assuming this would be a problem and once I'm ready to keg this one. Do I need to go straight to lagering temps once it's out of the fermenter? FWIW if I don't it will be sitting at ~70df if I leave it in the basement.

DJ,If you are going to do a D rest at like 75% of your fermentation then you can go right from fermentation to lagering. I would warm it for 2-3 days then drop the temp down to 35 or so too and let it sit for a month. I think Vienna will go well with 2308 I brew my Ofests with it and they are wonderful. Enjoy the lager they are fun. Sounds like you will have a nice big pitch too.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Definitely d-rest it. I posted this someplace else, but I was talking with Tess Szamatulski of Clonebrews and I was asking her about lagers and specifically d-rests. She said that the only strain she knew of that absolutely needs one is Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager. Vienna is always a good choice & it sounds lovely right now. Cheers.

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

Here's what we do:Ferment at 50 dF and when it drops below 1.016, raise to 60dF and the D-rest usually lasts about 4 days, until it tests way below our thresholds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users