13 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

I have a lager that I want to d-rest just to be safe.OG: 1.06predicted FG: probably around 1.016I'm currently at about 1.03 (this is 5 days into fermentation).Good time to start the d-rest or too soon??

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

I have a lager that I want to d-rest just to be safe.OG: 1.06predicted FG: probably around 1.016I'm currently at about 1.03 (this is 5 days into fermentation).Good time to start the d-rest or too soon??

You are almost there according to my calculation. I understand that a d rest can be started when you are approximately 70-75% towards your FG. That would be around 1.026ish. If you wanna start it now go ahead otherwise I would wait another 1-2 days, I personally wait till I hit FG then warm it up to 60-65 for a D rest. Brewer's choice. $0.02

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

You are almost there according to my calculation. I understand that a d rest can be started when you are approximately 70-75% towards your FG. That would be around 1.026ish. If you wanna start it now go ahead otherwise I would wait another 1-2 days, I personally wait till I hit FG then warm it up to 60-65 for a D rest. Brewer's choice. $0.02

In the past I've done that as well but I figured this time around I'd try doing it a little earlier this time. Last time I saw no additional drop in gravity during the d-rest so it kind of made me wonder if it really did anything or not.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

I'm also in general curious about lager fermentation temps. This beer started out probably in the 47-48F range. After a few days it was probably around 49F. Now the water it is sitting in is a little under 50F so the beer is probably 51 or 52F. Is this alright? I figure that initial period is the really important one where esters and the like could be generated. What's the general thought here?

#5 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

The purpose for the d-rest is for the diacetyl to be consumed so just by thinking gravity points, I'd think that would be a moot point. I hear what you're saying though.I've done it a couple times and have waited until I reach FG too.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

The purpose for the d-rest is for the diacetyl to be consumed so just by thinking gravity points, I'd think that would be a moot point. I hear what you're saying though.I've done it a couple times and have waited until I reach FG too.

My line of thinking is that active yeast might do a better job of consuming the dreaded D.

#7 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

I might be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the diacetyl was easier for the yeast to consume.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

I will admit to doing this on the fly. I don't really worry too much about when I do it, but it's typically very, very close to the end. I have a "beer bunker" which is a room in my basement with no heat vent. I close the door to that room and my swamp cooler is in there keeping everything cool. The room next to the bunker is where my furnace is so it's noticeably warmer in there. When my lagers are still ticking, but much slower than they were earlier in primary, I take the primary from the cool swamp cooler and place it on a table in the warmer room as a way to d-rest the beer but also to make sure that those last few ticks get knocked off. I have made the mistake of taking the beer out of the swamp cooler and placing it on the cold floor in the bunker only to have the beer slightly underfermented (this would be in the winter only). So I really wouldn't get terribly concerned about this. Some say 66% through primary is okay, but that seems too early to me. There is still active fermentation going on that may take place in the 60s which I don't like the sound of. If you're concerned, swirl it a little and warm it up for the d-rest. Cheers.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

I will admit to doing this on the fly. I don't really worry too much about when I do it, but it's typically very, very close to the end. I have a "beer bunker" which is a room in my basement with no heat vent. I close the door to that room and my swamp cooler is in there keeping everything cool. The room next to the bunker is where my furnace is so it's noticeably warmer in there. When my lagers are still ticking, but much slower than they were earlier in primary, I take the primary from the cool swamp cooler and place it on a table in the warmer room as a way to d-rest the beer but also to make sure that those last few ticks get knocked off. I have made the mistake of taking the beer out of the swamp cooler and placing it on the cold floor in the bunker only to have the beer slightly underfermented (this would be in the winter only). So I really wouldn't get terribly concerned about this. Some say 66% through primary is okay, but that seems too early to me. There is still active fermentation going on that may take place in the 60s which I don't like the sound of. If you're concerned, swirl it a little and warm it up for the d-rest. Cheers.

What about my fermentation temps? Do you think the most critical period with regards to low temp is the initial fermentation? I certainly am not pushing this yeast to the upper end of the temp range but I generally try to keep things below 50F.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

What about my fermentation temps? Do you think the most critical period with regards to low temp is the initial fermentation? I certainly am not pushing this yeast to the upper end of the temp range but I generally try to keep things below 50F.

I think that rise in your fermentation temp is fine. 52 is not a temp to worry about with lagers. If you are down to 1.030 then you should be past the point where esters and all are a concern for your beer. I think you will be alright and then you can choose when you wanna do your D rest.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

I think that rise in your fermentation temp is fine. 52 is not a temp to worry about with lagers. If you are down to 1.030 then you should be past the point where esters and all are a concern for your beer. I think you will be alright and then you can choose when you wanna do your D rest.

I think it's fine. I read somewhere (Noonan's Brewing Lager Beer?) that lager yeast can tolerate a 5° swing in about 24 hours. If you overdo that, they could become cranky. But if the beer was at 48°, you could go down to 43° or up to 53° and still be within that range. That's one reason I like the swamp cooler with 10 gallons of cold water in it... the fluctuations should be kept to a minimum, ensuring that "cool & consistent" thing you want with lagers. I think it's just fine. Btw, what strain are we talking about? I had a conversation with Tess Szamatulski of Clonebrews and asked about d-rests. She said that to her knowledge, the only lager strain that she was absolutely sure required a d-rest was Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager. I have used MANY lager strains and I do a d-rest pretty much every time... never experienced diacetyl. I know it's supposed to taste buttery, but honestly, never tasted it. Cheers.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

My line of thinking is that active yeast might do a better job of consuming the dreaded D.

Zym, that's also the standard line of thinking as well.

#13 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

I just did this on a dopplebock, went from 1.080 down to 1.026 after 4 weeks (wlp833) Thought I was pretty close to being done. When I brought it up to 65 for the d-rest, it took back off again with an active ferment, and my rest ended up lasting 5 days. FG was 1.019. It probably could have gone down another few points still, but I didnt want it to be much lower and lose the style, my target was 1.020, still wanted some sweetness. So I crashed it to stop it, but it was still going pretty good. I only did the rest as a procedural caution, a just in case, because I pitched cold into 52 deg wort, so the diacytel probably never even formed, but figured might as well be safe and do it anyhow. Seems like you are going to be fine with what you have going.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

I think it's fine. I read somewhere (Noonan's Brewing Lager Beer?) that lager yeast can tolerate a 5° swing in about 24 hours. If you overdo that, they could become cranky. But if the beer was at 48°, you could go down to 43° or up to 53° and still be within that range. That's one reason I like the swamp cooler with 10 gallons of cold water in it... the fluctuations should be kept to a minimum, ensuring that "cool & consistent" thing you want with lagers. I think it's just fine. Btw, what strain are we talking about? I had a conversation with Tess Szamatulski of Clonebrews and asked about d-rests. She said that to her knowledge, the only lager strain that she was absolutely sure required a d-rest was Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager. I have used MANY lager strains and I do a d-rest pretty much every time... never experienced diacetyl. I know it's supposed to taste buttery, but honestly, never tasted it. Cheers.

that's the stuff :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users