22 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

I have some beer I bottled over a week and a half ago and I'm really getting the itch to try it. I usually give them 2 weeks but I'm not sure I can make it that long...

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Well, hell, just pop one open and see! I haven't bottled in a looooooong time. But 1 1/2 weeks doesn't sound too far off.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

In the warmer months I try in a couple/few days but I am really an impatient bastard. I would definitely try after a week/week and a half. :)

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

I think you could check them anytime if you want to see what's going on. I hate to respond this way, but I realized (when I bottled) that I do not like the flavor of the young bottled beers. I liked them when they smoothed out which normally took 4-6 weeks. I know that's a long time and many people told me that was too long, but if I detected any of the green beer flavor associated with corn sugar-primed bottles, I didn't like the beer... so I waited longer. Cheers.

#5 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

I wait until the soda bottle has become rigid. Then add a few days :)

Edited by Cliff Claven, 24 February 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Yeah its tough to wait,thats what pushed me into kegging .I used to use a plastic beer bottle(plastic)for the test bottle.Warmer temps it would carb faster. Usually by two weeks i was testing a bottle,and when it was perfected around five weeks in the bottle i had it gone or given away.

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

I usually wait at least 2 weeks. Depending on the OG it could be carbed in a 1 1/2 weeks though. If my pipeline was drying out I'd open one of the and check it out. Then again, my palate apparently isn't quite as discerning as that of Mr. Leonard. Posted Image Beach

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

I usually wait at least 2 weeks. Depending on the OG it could be carbed in a 1 1/2 weeks though. If my pipeline was drying out I'd open one of the and check it out. Then again, my palate apparently isn't quite as discerning as that of Mr. Leonard. Posted Image Beach

Yeah, I know... sorry about that. I just remember drinking some early and thinking Well, this isn't as good as I hoped, but it's not bad... and then it would get to the 6 or maybe 8 week mark and it would be really, really good... but I only had 5 bottles of it left! DOH! :)

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

It sounds to me like you just need to brew more often so you aren't pining for the current batch. In my mind, this is really the way to be able to drink beer at its prime without having to be anxious over it.I am personally at the point where a beer can be ready to drink for months before it gets on the kegerator, and by that time, it is definitely good to drink, and I don't have to worry about trying to drink it too early.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

It sounds to me like you just need to brew more often so you aren't pining for the current batch. In my mind, this is really the way to be able to drink beer at its prime without having to be anxious over it.I am personally at the point where a beer can be ready to drink for months before it gets on the kegerator, and by that time, it is definitely good to drink, and I don't have to worry about trying to drink it too early.

+1This is how you get the patience to leave beers alone long enough for them to smooth out. Just brew more.

#11 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

The plastic soda bottle is a good idea. When I bottled, always bottled one clear bottle to check on the progress of the dregs in the bottom. and waited a minimum of 2 weeks.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

+2 (Ken was the +1)

#13 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Heck, I don't even wait for it to hit the bottle. I usually have one or two while I'm bottling it.I have noticed that with the beers that I have added gelatin to, it takes much longer for the beer to carb - my MLPA is going on week two and is still only lightly carbed. I also tried using table sugar in one batch and that is a horrible idea. Once it carbonates, it's fine, but if you like to sample early (like me) the taste of table sugar in beer is just awful. The residual of sweetness of corn sugar in an unattenuated bottle of beer is bad enough - table sugar is unbearable.I brew a lot and still can't wait. Sure, I may have 10 cases of beer ready to drink, but that stout I just brewed, well, I just can't wait to try it. That's why I don't keg. (and because I'm a cheap bastard). :)

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:38 AM

+1This is how you get the patience to leave beers alone long enough for them to smooth out. Just brew more.

I have plenty of beer (check my sig) - I'm more antsy to see if this beer carbed up and to get a general sense of what it will be like when I age it for a while (it is after all an old ale). So it's not for for lack of beer - I'm just excited about this one in particular :)

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:46 AM

Just to echo some of the other updates. When I bottled I would also put the end in either a 12oz or 1 liter soda bottle. You can check for carbonation by squeezing the bottle and also check for clarity. I always opened that bottle after about a week to get a good feel for how the rest of the batch would be. The soda bottle beer was usually a partial bottle that would have just been thrown out anyway so it is all win. If it didn't carb I can use a carb cap and then I'd open a regular bottle after another week.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

okay I tried a bottle. It's not quite as carbonated as I expected but they could just need another week or so. Would it help if I inverted the bottles to rouse any yeast off the bottom? This yeast seems to be an excellent floccer.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

okay I tried a bottle. It's not quite as carbonated as I expected but they could just need another week or so. Would it help if I inverted the bottles to rouse any yeast off the bottom? This yeast seems to be an excellent floccer.

I wouldn't do that. If you're impatient, you could move them to a warmer place. Inverting the bottles is fine, but generally not necessary. I hope it comes out good, Zym. Cheers.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't do that. If you're impatient, you could move them to a warmer place. Inverting the bottles is fine, but generally not necessary. I hope it comes out good, Zym. Cheers.

65F is as warm as it gets in casa de zym in the winter :smilielol:

#19 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:47 PM

I have some beer I bottled over a week and a half ago and I'm really getting the itch to try it. I usually give them 2 weeks but I'm not sure I can make it that long...

usually 2-3 weeks.

#20 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

I just had a stout fully carbonate in the bottle in less than a week. I was expecting a flat beer and was plesantly surprised to a full head of foam and bubbly goodness. The MLPA which I racked on top of gelatin for two weeks is on week 3 and could still use another week in the bottle (maybe more).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users