10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

I placed an online order yesterday and instead of my normal Briess, Rahr, Great Western (domestic 2-row) I went with some Crisp Maris Otter. I have always been fine just getting the domestic stuff (it's cheaper) but for some reason I decided to get the Maris Otter. So what will I notice, if anything. Will it be maltier or more flavorful or what? Would I slightly adjust a recipe based on this difference? Can this stuff be used for standard American ales and also for UK beers like bitters & EPAs or not necessarily? Thanks.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

MO is great stuff. Definitely maltier IMO. And I usually get a few more gravity points out of it - but that's expected. Like a lot of UK malts it's diastatic power is a bit less but it converts itself fine. With American ales I'll frequently go 50/50 with American 2-row and UK 2-row.

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I love Crisp Maris Otter for English and American styles. Like you said, it seems to be maltier and with more flavor, sort of a biscuity character. If I use it for an American style, I will usually cut back some on character malts, such as Victory if I'm using it. One thing I have noticed when I use Maris Otter, that I have never heard anyone else mention, is that the beers I make with it seem to be more prone to chill haze for some reason, and take a longer cold conditioning time to clear up.

#4 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I get a more malty and better mouth feel. It is now my go to base grain for pale ales, ipas, porters, stouts and scottish ales. Give it a try as a direct swap in a recipe you normally use 2-row to see the difference.

#5 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

Ken -I brew MLPA with Maris Otter and have been happier than batches of MLPA I've brewed with any domestic 2-row.Enjoy!Chad

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

Nice Choice of malts Ken. I have to agree with all the comments made already. This is a great malt and I love brewing with it. Good for either American or English beers. I believe you will be pleased.

#7 azu

azu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDarby, PA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Crisp MO is my favorite. Excellent malt profile and extraction.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys, that's great. With a lot of my recipes falling into the "balanced" range (as opposed to the ultra-hoppy range), I just wonder if this stuff would throw off the balance of some of my recipes. Use a little more hops? Maybe mash a little lower to offset the additional maltiness or just leave everything the way I normally would? I'm looking forward to using it and I need to look down the line at some of the beers I have planned for it. One that I know of was the Cream Ale that Deerslyr was talking about. There's a good example... Crisp Maris Otter in a Cream Ale? :blush:

#9 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

While I can't speak for the Crisp I use Fawcett MO and love it. The only *side by side* I've done is a SNPA clone and preferred the MO version by far. The only thing that I noticed was a tendency for doughballs. I just mash in a little slower to solve that issue. I think you're going to like it Ken.Beach

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

While I can't speak for the Crisp I use Fawcett MO and love it. The only *side by side* I've done is a SNPA clone and preferred the MO version by far. The only thing that I noticed was a tendency for doughballs. I just mash in a little slower to solve that issue. I think you're going to like it Ken.Beach

It's funny that you mention doughballs because some malt I use seems to have higher chance of doughballs while other brands or types don't seem to have it. Briess and Rahr rarely if ever clump up. Stellarbrew mentioned a higher possibility of chill haze and you know I don't like the sound of that one bit! :blush:

#11 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

It's funny that you mention doughballs because some malt I use seems to have higher chance of doughballs while other brands or types don't seem to have it. Briess and Rahr rarely if ever clump up. Stellarbrew mentioned a higher possibility of chill haze and you know I don't like the sound of that one bit! Posted Image

I actually built a hopper with an adjustable opening on the bottom that sits on top of my MLT. I'm able to add the grains and stir at the same time and have one hand free. This really helped to reduce the doughballsI just picked up a bag of two row Rahr, actually turned out to be Pale Ale malt, and have used it in two batches and no doughballs. Posted Image And, I would have to go back and check my notes to be sure, there may have been more chill haze in the MO batches. IIRC I was peeved that it took so long for the beer to clear. I know that doesn't fit in you program Ken.Beach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users