#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

The malt fairy left 15# of Dingeman's Aromatic at my place. I don't think I've used this before. It sounds like it would be decent in an Alt. Any ideas?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

The malt fairy left 15# of Dingeman's Aromatic at my place. I don't think I've used this before. It sounds like it would be decent in an Alt. Any ideas?

I have used it in Belgians, Pales, Pilners, alts and a bock, I like it, seems to be a nice nutty sweetness, I have not used more than 2 lbs in 15 however.I think Yeasty Boy did an all Aromatic Dopplebock though.

#3 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

I used some in my Alt and was very happy, complimented the melanoidin in both color and maltiness. I use some in almost every belgian I brew, but it's also nice in ESBs. Just make sure I get a taste of that Alt :P

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

I really like Aromatic malt and have used it a few times as well. My introduction to this fine malt was in CJ's JPA but I have used it several times in different beers but all Belgian derived beers. Belg Tripel, IPA, Blonde and Dubbel. Given what the malt provides in a beer I don't see any reason why you can't use it in an ALT as well. I would go for it. I would also not hesitate to use it in an American Pale or IPA. Be interested to hear what you use it with and what you think. I have gotten good responses from the beers that I have used this malt in. Most of my use has been around a half pound in 5 gallons for the beers involved.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Just used a small amount (1/4lb) in a 5gal batch of O'fest today. I'll let you know how that turns out in a couple months :P

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54188 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

Here's a description... Used at rates of up to 10%, Aromatic malt will lend a distinct, almost exaggerated malt aroma and flavor to the finished Ales and Lagers. Aromatic malt also has a rich color and is high in diastatic power for aid in starch conversion. As the name suggests, adds aromatics to a beer. I use a small amount in my Oktoberfest Lager... a little goes a long way.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

Here's a description... Used at rates of up to 10%, Aromatic malt will lend a distinct, almost exaggerated malt aroma and flavor to the finished Ales and Lagers. Aromatic malt also has a rich color and is high in diastatic power for aid in starch conversion. As the name suggests, adds aromatics to a beer. I use a small amount in my Oktoberfest Lager... a little goes a long way.

I read a couple other descriptions that were similar today. I'll have to look over my recipes. Can't imagine that I've never used it. The stuff smelled great when I bagged it up. Malt bomb!15# though? I'll have to do some trading or find out what happens when it hits 20 - 25% of a grainbill. What's the difference between this and Dark Munich?Anyway, I have a feeling my next brew is going to be the Doppel Sticke (200th batch - sort of). I would think this would be a good fit. Just finished kegging a D. Alt and harvested a bunch of WL036 for it......... Edit: no doubt drewseslu was giving me a pitch for the Sticke when he gave me this

Edited by dj in kc, 21 February 2010 - 04:26 PM.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54188 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

I read a couple other descriptions that were similar today. I'll have to look over my recipes. Can't imagine that I've never used it. The stuff smelled great when I bagged it up. Malt bomb!15# though? I'll have to do some trading or find out what happens when it hits 20 - 25% of a grainbill. What's the difference between this and Dark Munich?Anyway, I have a feeling my next brew is going to be the Doppel Sticke (200th batch - sort of). I would think this would be a good fit. Just finished kegging a D. Alt and harvested a bunch of WL036 for it.........

I hear you. I think I use 2oz in 5-gallons for my Oktober and I'm trying to think of another beer I use it in. It's not really that dark of a grain and you wouldn't use as much of it in a batch as you might with dark Munich. I suppose that if you used A LOT of Aromatic, it would start to lend a reddish-amber color to your beer. 15lbs might last you awhile. Bring some to the local homebrewers meeting and pass out 1lb bags to your buds. Cheers.

#9 Flashman

Flashman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

I like aromatic and almost always use around 4 oz. in my APAs and IPAs.

#10 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

I put a whole pound of Dingeman's Belgian Aromatic in the American Amber I brewed a few days ago. Will that be too much? The wort tasted awsome, but reading what others are saying here, I'm worried it may be cloying in the finished beer.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

DJ it's basically the same thing as melanoidin malt and you can use it the same way.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

DJ it's basically the same thing as melanoidin malt and you can use it the same way.

Cool, the last few years melanoidin has always found its way into my alts.... Guess I can taste a few grains of each later tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users