#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

Ok so I sat down last night and formulated a recipe to brew an Imperial Stout. I am a huge fan of GD Yeti Imp Stout and Terrapin Coffee Imp Stout. I am trying to make an Imperial Stout that has a lot of roast, coffee and chocolate character in the flavor. I don't want citrus flavor and as such the use of Willamette hops in the flavor and aroma. I would love a bit strong bold flavor in this beer. I figure I will brew it in the next week or two and age it till fall and put it on tap from there. I am thinking I will mash this one at 152 so that I can get a good FG as well. I would also be intersted in yeast selection. I have two strains to reuse that I can pitch in this beer as well. I have a cold slurry of 1272 that I harvested back on Feb 6th from a 1.070 IPA or I have a slurry of US-05 that I collected this morning and can repitch from an Imperial IPA 1.084. I am leaning towards the 1272 but am open to suggestions of either since I wanna ferment this down to around 1.016 FG as well. Appreciate the advice from a Hophead and huge stout fan as well. CheersKing Imperial Stout Imperial Stout Type: All Grain Batch Size: 5.50 galBoil Size: 7.39 gal Boil Time: 60 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Ingredients13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.22 % 2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 % 0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 % 0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 % 0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 % 0.75 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 % 2.00 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 60.2 IBU 1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU 1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU 1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SGBitterness: 66.9 IBU Est Color: 58.1 SRM

#2 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

A couple of small critiques I would make:Change the 2 row to a british maris otter/fawcett something like thatBack off on the black patent some, may give an acrid burnt flavor, maybe switch to a dehusked carafa special (just my liking personally)Bump the RB up to maybe 1-1.5#s to give that big flavor you are looking for. I like the us-05 myself and use it in all my RISs. All just my $.02

#3 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Just a lone brewer's minority opinion. I would not use .75 lb black patent in a 5 gallon batch. That stuff is too chalky for me. I would use 1 lb brown or amber malt. Or something available else from to you.The BU:GU seems seems a lttle high for me. But you are using magnums, they are pretty unintrusive.zymot

#4 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26193 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Just a lone brewer's minority opinion. I would not use .75 lb black patent in a 5 gallon batch. That stuff is too chalky for me. I would use 1 lb brown or amber malt. Or something available else from to you. zymot

I use whole lb in my Historical double stout and it ages really well. I've read that bp is good in really small or larger %, but that there is a grey area where it get's chalky. My experience backs this up.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

A couple of small critiques I would make: Change the 2 row to a british maris otter/fawcett something like that Back off on the black patent some, may give an acrid burnt flavor, maybe switch to a dehusked carafa special (just my liking personally) Bump the RB up to maybe 1-1.5#s to give that big flavor you are looking for. I like the us-05 myself and use it in all my RISs. All just my $.02

Thanks Thirsty. I do like your idea and was actually considering that as well. I have MO and the Am 2 Row here so switching to MO makes sense. The suggestion of RB is good too. I brewed a Choc Rye Stout back in fall 2009 with 1.5lbs of RB and it was awesome. I will probably do that too. While I know I stated in my post I was leaning towards 1272 by yeast suggestion Wyeast does not list Impy Stout for 1272 so I wondered on that too. US-05 has been my yeast of choice though on a couple of the Impy IPA's that I have brewed and it never disappoints on the FG as well. I will probably just play it safe and go US-05 too. Thanks!!

Just a lone brewer's minority opinion. I would not use .75 lb black patent in a 5 gallon batch. That stuff is too chalky for me. I would use 1 lb brown or amber malt. Or something available else from to you. The BU:GU seems seems a lttle high for me. But you are using magnums, they are pretty unintrusive. zymot

While I am not opposed to using Brown/Amber my problem is the LHBS does not seem to stock either but I could order some online too. I looked back and in 2008 I brewed an American Stout with no BP and a lb of Carafa II and it did turn out good too. I will have to think on this one. Thanks for the suggestion. According to the BU:GU table I use it seems to suggest just over .75 BU:GU is suggested so I figured I was close. I did decide to go Magnum due to that but also figured it would be neutral in flavor even as a bittering hop as well. I will rework the recipe again, thanks for the suggestions gents!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users