#1 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

So "a friend" accidentally used 1# of chocolate instead of 1# RB in his dry stout mash this am before work. Has anyone ever made a chocolate stout like that? :blush:

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

It sounds as if "your friend" :blush: made a porter. I enjoy those too.

#3 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I my friend was supposed to brew a porter with a new brewer next week. Shoot.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I my friend was supposed to brew a porter with a new brewer next week. Shoot.

Just be glad it wasn't a pound of Black Patent.........

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

+1it'll be yummy.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

So "a friend" accidentally used 1# of chocolate instead of 1# RB in his dry stout mash this am before work. Has anyone ever made a chocolate stout like that? :blush:

Not one that I would drink.Make a batch minus the RB and blend them.That'll get you down to 1/2 lb.

#7 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

I used a lb of chocolate wheat , it was a porter style. Delicious, chocolate not over-powering either. Matter of fact i bought some chocolate wheat last weekend to make a porter this weekend with it. Have not finalized the details of the beer yet though. Your friend may have a real good beer when its done. Did you know what kind of yeast was used?

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Not one that I would drink.Make a batch minus the RB and blend them.That'll get you down to 1/2 lb.

I wouldn't give up on it. Carafa 3 especially can mellow out pretty quick. I've used a couple pounds before in 10 gal batches with no regrets.

#9 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

It was me, the "friend" stuff was just a stupid PH joke. I pitched S-04. I like Stoutfan's suggestion to blend. I will wait and see what it tastes like and make a decision at that point.

#10 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

please share your results orudis, this kinda mistake allows for a real clear view of what makes a stout.I kind guessed it was you....... I think it will be damn tasty personally, if not what you were originally intending to make.

#11 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

I'll post the recipe later, don't have it handy. There was a touch of black malt, and I added some sugar to the kettle to bump the gravity after realizing what I'd done. Cheers.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

I'll post the recipe later, don't have it handy. There was a touch of black malt, and I added some sugar to the kettle to bump the gravity after realizing what I'd done. Cheers.

I have done nearly exactly this once and I was pleased with the results, not a stout, but a nice porter.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

I wouldn't give up on it. Carafa 3 especially can mellow out pretty quick. I've used a couple pounds before in 10 gal batches with no regrets.

Carafa 3 is dehusked and adds very little tannin to the brew.

#14 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Not so fast, my house stout uses 1lb of Black Patent as the roasted malt addition and is highly complimented by everyone who has had it. Additionally, SN claims "black malt" is the only roasted malt in their stout.

#15 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, I have used a pound of BP in a stout, and it wasn't nearly the disaster you would think when you read descriptions of black malt. Anyhoo, we will see. The wort tasted fine. Looked like a porter. :P

#16 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

Not so fast, my house stout uses 1lb of Black Patent as the roasted malt addition and is highly complimented by everyone who has had it. Additionally, SN claims "black malt" is the only roasted malt in their stout.

I'm not bagging on BP. It's the only roasted malt in your stout though? I've used a lot in some oatmeal stouts but there's been some RB in the mix too.

#17 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

I'm not bagging on BP. It's the only roasted malt in your stout though? I've used a lot in some oatmeal stouts but there's been some RB in the mix too.

Yup, only roasted malt. To my taste buds, the BP is a lot roastier than RB and sits nicely in a well-hopped stout. Honestly, I don't really brew many stouts now with RB, I view this as being specific to the Irish style stouts.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Yup, only roasted malt. To my taste buds, the BP is a lot roastier than RB and sits nicely in a well-hopped stout. Honestly, I don't really brew many stouts now with RB, I view this as being specific to the Irish style stouts.

you hit the key words there I think "well hopped' the BP seems to work well with hoppy dark ales whereas the RB is in my experience a compliment to the minimal bittering hops in a typical Irish dry stout. The RB is as such as much of a contributer to the bittering in a dry stout as the hops are.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Interesting, I've been playing with some hopped up American dry stouts. That could be something to throw in the mix. I almost always have some BP around.

#20 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

here was the recipe I ended up brewing:
Accidental PorterA ProMash Recipe ReportRecipe Specifics----------------Batch Size (Gal):		 5.00	Wort Size (Gal):	5.00Total Grain (Lbs):	   10.63Anticipated OG:		  1.061	Plato:			 14.92Anticipated SRM:		  32.7Anticipated IBU:		  42.5Brewhouse Efficiency:	   75 %Wort Boil Time:			 60	MinutesGrain/Extract/Sugar   %	 Amount	 Name						  Origin		Potential SRM----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 65.9	 7.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)			  Great Britain  1.038	  3 14.1	 1.50 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat	   America		1.034	  2  9.4	 1.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt				America		1.029	350  1.2	 0.13 lbs. Black Malt					Belgium		1.030	600  9.4	 1.00 lbs. Demerara Sugar				Generic		1.041	  1Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.Hops   Amount	 Name							  Form	Alpha  IBU  Boil Time-----------------------------------------------------------------------------  2.00 oz.	Willamette						Whole	5.00  42.5  60 min.Yeast-----DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users