#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

I really should invest in a large tank, but for now I have been getting my 20#ers filled- or so I thought. There is a service station in town that I have been filling pretty much exclusively at. They charge by the gallon and not by the #, on a standard fill. I had forgot about this, but remember a sign a few years ago. So their charge is $16, last time I watched him fill, I noticed they dont weigh it, they watch a meter. When it rolls 3 gallons, they stop. I asked him how much that amount weighed, and he said he wasnt sure, but they have been instructed to never fill all the way. So now I go a couple miles further and got my last one filled at a Rocky's (our local Ace hardware) and they were the same- $16, but my fill felt a LOT heavier. So curious as to what others are paying out there and how much are you getting?

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

I really should invest in a large tank, but for now I have been getting my 20#ers filled- or so I thought. There is a service station in town that I have been filling pretty much exclusively at. They charge by the gallon and not by the #, on a standard fill. I had forgot about this, but remember a sign a few years ago. So their charge is $16, last time I watched him fill, I noticed they dont weigh it, they watch a meter. When it rolls 3 gallons, they stop. I asked him how much that amount weighed, and he said he wasnt sure, but they have been instructed to never fill all the way. So now I go a couple miles further and got my last one filled at a Rocky's (our local Ace hardware) and they were the same- $16, but my fill felt a LOT heavier. So curious as to what others are paying out there and how much are you getting?

~$23 for a swap. the fills are a few bucks a pound I think. I haven't gone to one in a while.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

I am paying right around 17-18 dollars per fill at the local UHaul, they fill it all the way and charge per gallon, I believe around 3.50$ per gallon.

#4 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

I get mine filled at BJs Wholesale for around $15 to $20, it depends on the state of the market

#5 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

I just bought one of the exchange cylinders from HD. $20 for a 16# refill. It's more expensive than using the local gas station, but ever since I took a couple tanks in last summer and was told the tanks were too hot to fill, I must say I love the 24/7 convenience of using HD's GIANT tank dispenser. It's like a coke machine for propane tanks. I guess I also bought it cause it was kind of cool...

#6 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

I get mine filled at the local ace hardware, they usually put in 17 and change pounds for I think $16.Dammit though it's a 20# tank... twenty pounds is the 80% liquid level and safe.

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

I fill my tanks at a locally owned propane distributer. I had 2- 20# tanks filled by weight yesterday for $30+ change, including 7% Indiana sales tax. I've watched their process and the tanks are filled to 20#. The propane place is ~5 miles from my house. My other option is to go 1/2 block to the local grocery store and pay 17.95+ tax for a tank exchange with 15#/ tank. I'll keep driving the extra distance for the better deal. The folks there are very helpful and friendly, and we bs about beer, jeeps (I drive a Wrangler), and dogs (my German Shephard usually rides along) while they fill the tanks. I've got a thing about supporting local businesses.Beach

#8 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

I pay about 18 bucks to get my 5 gallon refilled at the local tool rental place.MolBasser

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:18 AM

blue rhino/amerigas exchange tanksI think they are about $17-18 for something less than 20lbs (can't remember the exact size off hand).

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

blue rhino/amerigas exchange tanksI think they are about $17-18 for something less than 20lbs (can't remember the exact size off hand).

+1. Same here too $19.25ish at Lowes Home Improvement. BJ's Wholesale fills tanks for around $11-12 for a 16lber but I am not going to buy tanks just to do that. I just stick to Lowes right on my way home from work. I can get around 4 brews off one tank.

#11 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

Around $65-70 for my 100#er.

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

I'm paying $18 per tank I think....that reminds me, both of my tanks are almost empty! Thanks Thirsty!

#13 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

Buckeye welding supply Greeley coThey fill tanks until liquid (kind of a mist) propane sprays from the relief valve. I think it is 2.50/gallon.

#14 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

It's been a while for the 20# to be filled at ACE. IIRC $15. They fill it until the machine stops. OPD valves keep it from overfilling I guess?I have a 100# a friend is storing. We get it filled by another friend in a small town Ag shop. $40. Last fill I think he was charged $10 for 100# :) He must have slipped the guy a 6pk or something.

Edited by Cliff Claven, 19 February 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

I have a 100# a friend is storing. We get it filled by another friend in a small town Ag shop. $40. Last fill I think he was charged $10 for 100# :) He must have slipped the guy a 6pk or something.

Your buddies knees hurt on top of that!

#16 Hentai

Hentai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBrookfield,IL

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

Local gas supply gives me $20 exchanges for true 20#ers.

#17 AndyCLS

AndyCLS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationClinton, MA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

About $18 at our local Agway for a 20# tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users