#1 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

So this morning I was mixing a spoonful of Benefiber into my coffee (insert all jokes here) and noticed that the only ingredient is Wheat Dextrin. No flavors, sugars or other chemicals and it dissolves completely with no grit.Would there be any conceivable use for this stuff in adding to body or mouthfeel in beer? If so, could it be added to the mash or directly to boil?

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

So this morning I was mixing a spoonful of Benefiber into my coffee (insert all jokes here) and noticed that the only ingredient is Wheat Dextrin. No flavors, sugars or other chemicals and it dissolves completely with no grit.Would there be any conceivable use for this stuff in adding to body or mouthfeel in beer? If so, could it be added to the mash or directly to boil?

I've got to imagine that the cost of using Benefiber would far exceed the cost of the grains that you could buy to acheive the same result. {No jokes being made about Benefiber... I've got a bottle of Benefiber Chewables! Ok... they probably taste better than what you are having, but we get the picture.}

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

I've got to imagine that the cost of using Benefiber would far exceed the cost of the grains that you could buy to acheive the same result. {No jokes being made about Benefiber... I've got a bottle of Benefiber Chewables! Ok... they probably taste better than what you are having, but we get the picture.}

I'm sure the cost issue is a killer, but I can't help but wonder.... maybe someone who was doing all extract, no steeping grains could find a BeneFit?

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

I'm sure the cost issue is a killer, but I can't help but wonder.... maybe someone who was doing all extract, no steeping grains could find a BeneFit?

LHBS have bags of Maltodextrin that would probably be cheaper

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

LHBS have bags of Maltodextrin that would probably be cheaper

Maybe someone could do a 1/2 batch and figure it out. Wouldn't be a bad "standbye" in case brewing on the weekend all of a sudden and there is no access to an LHBS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users