#21 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26174 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

I do something close to the 80/20 mix but add a bit of Vienna and hop with S. Goldings (60 & 20 min to about 25 ibu). The earthy character of the S. Goldings works really well with this style IMO

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hey, is Genessee Cream Ale sold all over the place? Before I make this beer, I was thinking it would be good to try an "American Original". I don't remember seeing it around at my local mega-beer store.

#23 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Binnys. It's ussually kind of hidden though...

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Binnys. It's ussually kind of hidden though...

Really?* Heads to Binny's * :)

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

Oh, this is good. I can't find it so I ask the guy, which of course raises an eyebrow. He looks it up on the computer and says The only stores showing ANY activity are Elmwood Park, River Grove and Naperville. JB, now I know how you saw it. :) If I can't find it at a Binny's, I can't imagine another place that would carry it. But of course I wouldn't leave empty handed. I got two 16-oz bottles of Ayinger... a Munich Lager and a Dunkel. Cheers!

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

So can I assume that Crisp Maris Otter isn't the best choice for a base malt for this? I have some Munton's UK Pale Malt along with the MO. I plan to brew this next week and I may be in my LHBS's neighborhood early next week. I'm thinking just plain Briess 2-row would be better, huh?

#27 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

So can I assume that Crisp Maris Otter isn't the best choice for a base malt for this? I have some Munton's UK Pale Malt along with the MO. I plan to brew this next week and I may be in my LHBS's neighborhood early next week. I'm thinking just plain Briess 2-row would be better, huh?

I use Briess 2-Row in mine. I'd save the MO and the UK Pale for something more "special". IMO, the Cream Ale is a real pedestrian beer, and I like letting the corn flavor come through.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

I use Briess 2-Row in mine. I'd save the MO and the UK Pale for something more "special". IMO, the Cream Ale is a real pedestrian beer, and I like letting the corn flavor come through.

Yes. I will stop into my LHBS on Monday on my way back from an appointment and grab 10-15 lbs of Briess 2-row. I think I'm going with a very close version of your beer...7.75 lbs Briess 2-row1.75 lbs flaked corn (mash everything at 152°)1 oz Mt. Hood pellets 5.2% for 60 minsWyeast 1056 American AleOG: 1.054, FG: 1.012, IBU: 22, SRM: 4, ABV: 5.2%Simple! Cheers.

#29 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

My Black Dog Cream Ale:OG: 1.048FG: 1.010SRM: 4IBU: 13ABV: 5.19.75 lbs. 2-Row.66 lb. Crystal 10L.25 oz. Columbus (60 mins)1 oz. Cascade (1 min)Safale 05 (ale) & 23 (lager)Mash at 152Ferment at 68Kegged in the Taproom and am enjoying every pint!

#30 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

I'm not a big fan of the corny flavor from flaked corn, so I tried Papa Charlie's take on corn and started using corn starch instead. It costs about 1/2 of flaked, tastes about 1/2 as corny and works great. Beer ends up crystal clear with a hint of sweetness. It plops in the mash tun like a marshmallow, but then instantly dissolves.

#31 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

Oh, this is good. I can't find it so I ask the guy, which of course raises an eyebrow. He looks it up on the computer and says The only stores showing ANY activity are Elmwood Park, River Grove and Naperville. JB, now I know how you saw it. :smilielol: If I can't find it at a Binny's, I can't imagine another place that would carry it. But of course I wouldn't leave empty handed. I got two 16-oz bottles of Ayinger... a Munich Lager and a Dunkel. Cheers!

the elmwood park location is my beer spot.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

I brewed this early this morning. I had to make a few slight modifications, but I think it's close. Cream Ale5 lbs Schreier Pale Malt2.75 lbs Crisp Maris Otter1.5 lbs flaked corn (single infusion mash 151°)1 oz Mt. Hood 3.9% plus ¼ oz Tettnanger 4.7% for 60 mins (about 5.1 AAU)Wyeast 1056 American AleOG: 1.052, FG: 1.012, IBU: 22, SRM: 3, ABV: 5.0%I used the EZ_Water sheet on this beer and got the ideal SRM range from 2 to 7 and an RA of -33. I added 1g gypsum, 1g epsom salt and 2g CaCl to the mash and then another 1.7g gyspum, 3.3g CaCl and 1.7g epsom salt to the kettle. I was a little squeamish about this, but I tasted the wort from brewpot to primary (really light in color and extremely clear, btw) and it was not salty or harsh tasting. The mash water was 66% distilled and 33% filtered tap. It's sitting in the dark, cool basement closet and will probably ferment in the 60-65° range. Cheers and thanks for the recipe DEERSLYR!

#33 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

I brewed this early this morning. I had to make a few slight modifications, but I think it's close. Cream Ale5 lbs Schreier Pale Malt2.75 lbs Crisp Maris Otter1.5 lbs flaked corn (single infusion mash 151°)1 oz Mt. Hood 3.9% plus ¼ oz Tettnanger 4.7% for 60 mins (about 5.1 AAU)Wyeast 1056 American AleOG: 1.052, FG: 1.012, IBU: 22, SRM: 3, ABV: 5.0%I used the EZ_Water sheet on this beer and got the ideal SRM range from 2 to 7 and an RA of -33. I added 1g gypsum, 1g epsom salt and 2g CaCl to the mash and then another 1.7g gyspum, 3.3g CaCl and 1.7g epsom salt to the kettle. I was a little squeamish about this, but I tasted the wort from brewpot to primary (really light in color and extremely clear, btw) and it was not salty or harsh tasting. The mash water was 66% distilled and 33% filtered tap. It's sitting in the dark, cool basement closet and will probably ferment in the 60-65° range. Cheers and thanks for the recipe DEERSLYR!

You'll have to let me know how it turns out. I've got a 5 gallon bucket filled with Maris Otter... I just kegged the one I did a few weeks back with the half pound of cara-pils in it. Have the regulator set to 15... just need to have it properly carbed and balanced by Easter, when my brother-in-law comes.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hey, is Genessee Cream Ale sold all over the place? Before I make this beer, I was thinking it would be good to try an "American Original". I don't remember seeing it around at my local mega-beer store.

Not seen it out West, Henry Weinhard's private reserve has won gold at the GABF in the Cream Ale Category though IIRC.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

Bumping an old thread here because my Cream Ale hit the taps today. Wow, it's so straightforward and beery I can't get over it. I pretty much chugged the first glass of it because it came out so clean and smooth. The recipe is a few posts up and this keg sat at about 35° for about 3 weeks before it hit the taps. Really nice balance between the hops, malt & yeast. I also made some water adjustments on this batch (CaCl and epsom salt to get the RA down into the range where an SRM 3-4 beer can be made properly with my water) and those additions are also producing some BOO-YA head stability. This is indeed a cream ale because after the last sip, a big blob of creamy foam slides down the glass and plops into your mouth. Delicioso! Cheers.

#36 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

You guys and your cream ale shenanigans. Makes me want to brew some. I was gonna make some more MLPA, but then I saw this. Now I gotta get another grain bill. I saw that you can buy a specialty ale/lager yeast mix made by White Labs, WLP080. Anyone tried this? I was going to just use some 1056, I'm used to it and I like the way it ferments.Also, I use a swamp cooler, and probably ferment on the higher side of the spectrum, so me thinks the combo yeast might not work quite as well.What sayeth the Blewbies?Cheers,Rich

#37 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

Not seen it out West, Henry Weinhard's private reserve has won gold at the GABF in the Cream Ale Category though IIRC.

Mic, would you use about 1/2 Spokane water and 1/2 RO water for this, to cut down on the hardness a bit?

#38 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

You guys and your cream ale shenanigans. Makes me want to brew some. I was gonna make some more MLPA, but then I saw this. Now I gotta get another grain bill. I saw that you can buy a specialty ale/lager yeast mix made by White Labs, WLP080. Anyone tried this? I was going to just use some 1056, I'm used to it and I like the way it ferments.Also, I use a swamp cooler, and probably ferment on the higher side of the spectrum, so me thinks the combo yeast might not work quite as well.What sayeth the Blewbies?Cheers,Rich

If you have your 2 Row in bulk, all you need to do is get some flaked maize from your LHBS. If they don't have any, just go to Publix and buy some Polenta or Corn meal. Cook it up with a handful of crushed grains and put it in your mash. See my recipe in the Recipe Swap for Deerslayers NFP Cream Ale No. 2... good stuff. Calls for Mt. Hood, but probably any modest bittering hop would suffice. The IBU's are low on this one. Brew it so you can see how simple it is. Guarantee it will work its way into your rotation and its also a decent beer for your BMC crowd to become "converted".

#39 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

If you have your 2 Row in bulk, all you need to do is get some flaked maize from your LHBS. If they don't have any, just go to Publix and buy some Polenta or Corn meal. Cook it up with a handful of crushed grains and put it in your mash. See my recipe in the Recipe Swap for Deerslayers NFP Cream Ale No. 2... good stuff. Calls for Mt. Hood, but probably any modest bittering hop would suffice. The IBU's are low on this one. Brew it so you can see how simple it is. Guarantee it will work its way into your rotation and its also a decent beer for your BMC crowd to become "converted".

I order pre crushed from austin homebrew because im lazy, dont want to go to the lhbs, and dont have a grain mill myself they have the flaked maize. I crushed for a 10 gal batch at my friends house and my arms were killing me!What about the cream ale yeast? I don't have any problems using 1056 and I'm certainly not brewing for competition.Cheers,Rich

#40 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

I've never used the WLP 080, but I know I'm going to make this beer with some WY1272 American Ale II. I like the yeast profile and I'm gonna repitch for an IIPA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users