#1 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

I just had my first Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA wow imported beers are expensive $6.75 CAD very very tasty though

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yes, a great beer indeed. I actually haven't had one in a while. It's kinda different to hear it called an import. :mellow: A guy in my club goes to the original Rehoboth, DE place about every month as he travels for work. He says they've had beers there that aren't distributed. One he said was horrible. I forget what it was. OK, I'm rambling. :cheers:

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:57 AM

My notes say i loved the 90min IPA better,the 60min IPA was good though.I hope to someday try the 75min/120min IPA's they make.

#4 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

Yes, a great beer indeed. I actually haven't had one in a while. It's kinda different to hear it called an import. :mellow: A guy in my club goes to the original Rehoboth, DE place about every month as he travels for work. He says they've had beers there that aren't distributed. One he said was horrible. I forget what it was. OK, I'm rambling. :cheers:

Yah at the brew pub, that have the small 5 barrel "experimental" batches to test out new recipes. Some really good, and some not so much. The last one I had was Arms Akimbo or something, had a licorice flavour I did not care for. I'm going tonight for brew club, hopefully it will be a good one.

#5 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

I really like the 60 and 90 minute IPA's. The 120 is cloyingly sweet. Sure, it's heavily hopped, but I personally did not enjoy it because of the excessive sweetness.

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

DFH isn't cheap anywhere. Of the 'minute' series I like the 90 the best. If you can find it I'd highly recommend picking up a bottle. The 120 minute and World Wide Stout IMO aren't anything to get excited over despite their high price tag even here in the US.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

The 120 minute and World Wide Stout IMO aren't anything to get excited over despite their high price tag even here in the US.

These are beers that really need to be laid down though. I had a WWS at the night before night before dinner DFH puts on here locally, (Sam is from western MA) so he comes home for the holidays and parties pretty good. He broke out some 3 year old WWS and it was moons better than the bottles I have had from the packy. The 120 can definitely seem cloying, I usually split a bottle with a buddy and drink it as if it were a sherry in a snifter and slow. Forget it is even a triple IPA or even beer, and it is quite enjoyable- plenty of citrus as it warms. Now the palo santo maron, that is a whole different level of amazing. And dont get me started on the Fort...

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

I have yet to have 60 min or 90 min...I guess it's sort of a fight I am putting up for the price...Why should I spend 9.99/6 pk or 15/4 pk when there are so many other GREAT IPAs at 6.99-7.99/pkOne day I will splurge and start out with the 90 min...but until then I will support other breweries who make just as good of beer at a better price.

#9 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

These are beers that really need to be laid down though. I had a WWS at the night before night before dinner DFH puts on here locally, (Sam is from western MA) so he comes home for the holidays and parties pretty good. He broke out some 3 year old WWS and it was moons better than the bottles I have had from the packy. The 120 can definitely seem cloying, I usually split a bottle with a buddy and drink it as if it were a sherry in a snifter and slow. Forget it is even a triple IPA or even beer, and it is quite enjoyable- plenty of citrus as it warms. Now the palo santo maron, that is a whole different level of amazing. And dont get me started on the Fort...

I can see those two improving vastly with age. I might have to add them to my commercial beers to age collection. I find the WWS to be overly alcoholic tasting and the 120 min to be very cloying.I'd agree with Palo Santo and Fort being in a different category all together. Those are great beers and really show how far the envelope can be pushed. My wife in particular will get in 'the line' for the DFH booth at GABF over and over and over to try all the oddities DFH brings to the table.

#10 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

I have yet to have 60 min or 90 min...I guess it's sort of a fight I am putting up for the price...Why should I spend 9.99/6 pk or 15/4 pk when there are so many other GREAT IPAs at 6.99-7.99/pkOne day I will splurge and start out with the 90 min...but until then I will support other breweries who make just as good of beer at a better price.

WOW $9.99 I payed $6.75 CAD per bottle :mellow:

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

WOW $9.99 I payed $6.75 CAD per bottle :mellow:

hahaha....well at least I don't have to pay $6.5/bottle for LaBattIs this inline with other US imported microbrews?

#12 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have had 120 aged for over 5 years. (My wife bought me 6 bottles - I drank one a year). I never noticed it getting better with age - but then I never really liked it to begin with. The DFH 90 is superb. I'll buy a single bottle once in awhile, but it is too pricey to drink often. We have a great beer store here that will sell everything by the bottle and has the best selection I have ever seen. Something I would never buy is much more digestable when you're only shelling out a couple of bucks to try it.

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Add my vote to the 90 min tally. Really in a class of it's own.

#14 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

My notes say i loved the 90min IPA better,the 60min IPA was good though.I hope to someday try the 75min/120min IPA's they make.

75 is nice I've had it on cask a couple times. I used to like the 90 but find it too cloying in bottle nowadays, the draft is still fine though.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

Getting beer to Canada from the US is a GIANT pain in the ass.It is also expensive.You Canucks should get on your gubbermint to make it easier for us to get our beer to the Great White North.MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users