#1 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Got a Pils entering the final week of lagering. I need to dry hop, and I'd like to clear with Gelatin, but I'm trying to minimize oxygen exposure. Because I was unsure of how I was going to handle it, it's lagering in a keg with a sure screen on the dip tube (and a bit of extra yeast in the bottom - I started my racking siphon with CO2 and a quick disconnect. When the sides of the better bottle crunched in to equalize the pressure, they titled the racking can into the yeast cake).What about this procedure:1. Attach to kegerator, draw yeast off bottom. (will the sure screen interfere with this?)2. Add gelatin, purge air, and shake3. Let sit for another week at lagering temp4. Attach to kegerator, draw sediment off bottom. (The keg is almost full to the top, so I need some space for the dry hops anyways)5. Add dry hops, purge air, and shake6. Let sit a week or so and serve.Any problems with this? I think once I've dry hopped it should sit at room temp for the week, right?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:52 AM

Got a Pils entering the final week of lagering. I need to dry hop, and I'd like to clear with Gelatin, but I'm trying to minimize oxygen exposure. Because I was unsure of how I was going to handle it, it's lagering in a keg with a sure screen on the dip tube (and a bit of extra yeast in the bottom - I started my racking siphon with CO2 and a quick disconnect. When the sides of the better bottle crunched in to equalize the pressure, they titled the racking can into the yeast cake).What about this procedure:1. Attach to kegerator, draw yeast off bottom. (will the sure screen interfere with this?)2. Add gelatin, purge air, and shake3. Let sit for another week at lagering temp4. Attach to kegerator, draw sediment off bottom. (The keg is almost full to the top, so I need some space for the dry hops anyways)5. Add dry hops, purge air, and shake6. Let sit a week or so and serve.Any problems with this? I think once I've dry hopped it should sit at room temp for the week, right?

I'd dry hop at fridge temps b/c I don't think it's good to cool heat cool like that.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48006 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

That'll work.Do you have another keg? If so, I've had better luck with gelatin by racking onto it. That would be putting the warm gelatin in the bottom of a sanitized, purged keg and jumpering the beer onto it. (Push out the sediment first, of course.)

#4 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

That'll work.Do you have another keg? If so, I've had better luck with gelatin by racking onto it. That would be putting the warm gelatin in the bottom of a sanitized, purged keg and jumpering the beer onto it. (Push out the sediment first, of course.)

Cool - thanks!I do have another keg, and I will take your advice. Do you purge by filing the keg with water and then CO2? If so, do you open the keg to add the gelatin (figuring the heavier CO2 will mostly stay in place), or do you push the gelatin into the keg via the dip tube?

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48006 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Cool - thanks!I do have another keg, and I will take your advice. Do you purge by filing the keg with water and then CO2? If so, do you open the keg to add the gelatin (figuring the heavier CO2 will mostly stay in place), or do you push the gelatin into the keg via the dip tube?

I fill the keg with sanitizer and push it fully out with CO2. Then open to pour in the gelatin - like you said it's heavy enough to handle it for a few seconds. Then fill the keg via the down tube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users