#1 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

I have formed a homebrew club in my city of Fredericton NB Canada and at this point in time no stores in the city carry liquid yeast on a regular basis what Im looking for is a list of 10 Wyeast strains that are most commonly used as one of the stores here in fredericton is willing to start carrying liquid yeast as long as our group buys from them David Savoiefcba.webs.com (feel free to join the site you guys rock)

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

I have formed a homebrew club in my city of Fredericton NB Canada and at this point in time no stores in the city carry liquid yeast on a regular basis what Im looking for is a list of 10 Wyeast strains that are most commonly used as one of the stores here in fredericton is willing to start carrying liquid yeast as long as our group buys from them David Savoiefcba.webs.com (feel free to join the site you guys rock)

It seems like the best way to go about this would be to work with your HB club and see what they most often brew. I may say WLP830 is in the top ten but if none of your club members make lagers that's not going to help you out, ya know?

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

the group could always group mail order then start slanting...

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25634 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Why don't you ask the club which strains they like?I think the minimum order for Wyeast is 70 smack packs. Divided 70 by the number of members and that average batches each club member needs to brew every 4-6 months.Assuming the local store will mark up the yeast, he will essentially sell you a bulk order at onesy-twosy pricing. Find somebody who can ship to Canada and offers flat shipping. Check out Northern Brewer or Brewmasters Warehouse. At a flat rate shipping, you can order a dozen smackpacks, and pay about $1.00 extra per batch.Oh My God! A dollar more for yeast! You can order exactly what you want. It will be as fresh as is possible. You will not get stuck with any excess inventory.Yeast is perishable. Fresher is always better. You only make the wort, yeast make the beer. If there is one place not to go cheap is with the yeast. If it costs an extra dollar or two for a batch, then zymot says, go ahead and bite the bullet.If I understand the offer, if you stock up on 10 strains of yeast, you will be stuck with it. There is value in letting Northern Brewer store the yeast in their fridge, not yours.zymot

#5 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

No no this is not to get bulk prices but more of just getting some in stock in general the problem with NB to will only ship to canada VIA UPS which will bend me over as far as brokerage fees $60 temp controller ended up being almost $140 and that was the last time I used UPS for anything this is a newb question but when liquid yeast is shipped is it shipped in cool storage ?or regular transport

Edited by nbbeerguy, 17 February 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

this is a newb question but when liquid yeast is shipped is it shipped in cool storage ?or regular transport

Well I can't answer for bulk but when I order yeast online i usually spend the extra dollar for an ice pack...

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:23 AM

My suggestions:Ales:1028105610841728there are other good ones in here and if you have extra spots you might want to pick a couple more.Belgian Ales:3068 (a great yeast for making german weizens - not sure why it's under Belgian Ales)def some other stuff if people are interested in making BelgiansLagers:2308I've only used 2308 but I really like it. You would probably want at least 1-2 more lager strains though. Maybe something for American style lagers and something for czech style lagers??Lambics:probably let people buy these on their own

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25634 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

No no this is not to get bulk prices but more of just getting some in stock in general the problem with NB to will only ship to canada VIA UPS which will bend me over as far as brokerage fees $60 temp controller ended up being almost $140 and that was the last time I used UPS for anything this is a newb question but when liquid yeast is shipped is it shipped in cool storage ?or regular transport

You should compare what you local guy requires to alternatives. I do know any of the details of your deal with Mr. Local, but he obviously expects your club to purchase a minimum amount of yeast, and your club needs to purchase it before it gets too old. What is the deal if your club members end up purchasing half of the guy's inventory? Do you make up for his spoilage?There are a few variables, like number of members who will be purchasing yeast and minimum order from Wyeast. Factor in that yeast does not last forever.Give https://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ chance. Explain your situation. See what he can do for you. There are no Wyeast or White Labs distributors on your side of the border? Limiting a group of brewers to 10 strains of yeast? I would look for alternatives.zymot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users