No replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationKent, OH

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

For those that have not heard of a Majority Ale, it is a strong, hoppy, spicy ale specifically made near the birth of someone (my son) and stored to be drank on their 21st birthday (or at least 18th). It must be a high alcohol brew to make it the 21 years. This brew ended up around 11.5% ABV, which puts it just under a barley wine. I have popped a few as the years have gone by (in secret) to check quality, and what a wonderful brew it is :frank:8lbs 2 Row Pale Malt - crushed6lbs Bavarian Wheat DME 65%wheat/35% Barley6lbs Maltoferm 10001 Light DME6lbs Pilsen Light DME3oz Amarillo Hops 8.6%3oz Centennial Hops 8.5%30 Cloves1oz Cinnamon Sticks1oz Bitter Orange Peel1 Vanilla Bean1tsp Nutmeg3 Safale US-05 11.5g packagesThis recipe makes 12 gallons. I am using a 15 Gallon Demi John. Steep crushed malt in 160 f water for 35 min, then bring to boil. Add all DME. Start 1 hour timer and add 1 ounce of Amarillo and Centennial Hops. 30 Mins add 1 ounce of Amarillo and Centennial Hops and half the vanilla bean and all spices (in bag). 50 min add last 1 ounce of Amarillo and Centennial Hops.Cool to 72 degrees transfer to primary fermenter and add yeast. After primary fermentation add the other half of the vanilla bean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users