#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'm bringing some of the Potomac Brewing Company's finest to Mardi Gras in Soulard this weekend. And instead of hauling my 5lb. CO2 tank down, I was going to pick up one of these and was wondering if anyone had any experience using them? Will one of them last all five gallons?

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

I keep these around. They are great to have lying around to deal with an issue of a leak or empty cylinder in the middle of a party. Keep the beer pouring. I forget how long they last, maybe even like 1.5 kegs, but maybe just like 0.8 kegs, I can't really remember. I suggest just bringing along a pack of bulbs. They are tiny, you can put a couple in your pocket.

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

How much are the bulbs? Can you refill them yourself of your own CO2 tank?

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

How much are the bulbs? Can you refill them yourself of your own CO2 tank?

Are you asking cost or volume??? The cost is pretty negligible when compared to the cost of replacing a regulator for your 5 pound tank that tipped over... Seriously, they are pretty inexpensive and nice to have around. You can find a 10 pack for around $12. If you were asking about volume, they come in terms of grams... usually 16 grams. Should be enough to push the entire keg, but as Chuck said, it doesn't hurt to take a couple extra along. No, you cannot refill them. They are sealed and then a pin in the charger pokes a hole in the top to allow the gas to be released.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

Are you asking cost or volume??? The cost is pretty negligible when compared to the cost of replacing a regulator for your 5 pound tank that tipped over... Seriously, they are pretty inexpensive and nice to have around. You can find a 10 pack for around $12. If you were asking about volume, they come in terms of grams... usually 16 grams. Should be enough to push the entire keg, but as Chuck said, it doesn't hurt to take a couple extra along. No, you cannot refill them. They are sealed and then a pin in the charger pokes a hole in the top to allow the gas to be released.

I have some paintball gun bulbs. I wonder if they are the same deal...

#6 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

I have one of those and find it great. No bulky tank with a regulator that could easilybe tipped over and broken. IIRC it will take 1 bulb to dispense a keg depending on how high your carbonation was and how long it is connected to the keg. If IRC also, they tendto leak over time, so it would be no good to keep a keg a while with this connected, asthe pressure will leak out regardless if it was connected to a keg or not.The cylinders are the type similar to the ones used for BB and pellet air guns, only the onesI use are food safe ( written on the cylinder ). Some people use the air gun ones, but theycontain some oil, so I won't use them.You can also get an adapter to use a paintball cylinder to connect to your existing CO2 regulatoer

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

I have some paintball gun bulbs. I wonder if they are the same deal...

See Boo Boo's post. Got to make sure that they are food grade.

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

Also, this might seem obvious, but you don't want to accidentally trigger it without the disconnect on the keg. I have heard of someone doing this by accident, and the entire disconnect bursting and giving the guy a bad bruise. There was too much pressure build up inside the disconnect with the release of the gas from the small cylinder.

#9 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

I love the one I have. It's great for traveling with a keg. My one mistake with it came when I tried changing out the cartridge without confirming it was completely empty. It sounded like a firecracker in my hand and left my ears ringing for 10 minutes.

Edited by MyBeerPants, 08 February 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48001 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

I have one. I generally need two cartridges to push a full keg.

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

I find myself running out just before the keg kicks, putting a new cylinder on, then kicking it 3 pints later. I have yet to get one to last a full keg though. Also be aware you only need to pull the trigger a second or 2 to charge the headspace. Traveling will also give you plenty of excess CO2, so when you arrive, it is best to let the keg settle, if you bleed off headspace, dont bleed all of it, the residual may be enough to pour the first 10-12 pints with no cartridge. Then when it flows slow, just tap the trigger quickly, a little goes a long way, no need to overcharge and waste on foam or have to bleed.

#12 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:42 AM

I've used these once before and used the paintball CO2 thingys from walmart. The last few pints had an off flavor, similar to some kind of petroleum oil. I recall having a huge headache after drinking half a pint of bad tasting beer, then dumping the rest.I think someone on the old board swore that the paintball ones didnt have any oil, but I don't buy it. If you do this, go with the food grade ones.

#13 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

I've got one, but I prefer to use an air pump for occasions where the whole keg will be killed. Easier to handle, and even the dumbest guy at the party can figure it out without overpressurizing the keg.

#14 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

I've used 2 boxes of walmart air gun cartridges and never noticed any off flavors. There are brands that definately have oil in them though. Crossman claims they don't. I charged a 2 liter with water and never noticed anything.I'd get a charger either way, its a good back up. Also good for starting a siphon out of a carboy (or a bucket with a two hole lid).

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Just picked up three cartridges at my LHBS. I made sure I got the food grade cartridges. Never used one of these before so thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll play with it Friday night just to make sure I know how to work it. Sounds like it's tougher to calibrate the CO2 output than the friendly confines of my regulator!

#16 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Just picked up three cartridges at my LHBS. I made sure I got the food grade cartridges. Never used one of these before so thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll play with it Friday night just to make sure I know how to work it. Sounds like it's tougher to calibrate the CO2 output than the friendly confines of my regulator!

perhaps this is an easier solution? I kinda did something like this...just bought a second regulator and rigged it up. it's an expensive upfront cost...but its worth it in the long run...https://www.williams...L_P1954C117.cfm

#17 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

sorry just wanted to add that with this adapter you can hook up those 20oz co2 bottles. that is what i do. they only cost a couple bucks to refill, and they will carbonate/dispense about 2-3 full cornies.

#18 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

sorry just wanted to add that with this adapter you can hook up those 20oz co2 bottles. that is what i do. they only cost a couple bucks to refill, and they will carbonate/dispense about 2-3 full cornies.

Here's my travel setup:Posted ImageMy two 20oz tanks have on-off valves instead of pin valves, so I don't need that adapter. The big white thing in the middle is a co2 nut handwheel I made.EDIT: Bungee cord wrapped a couple times around the regulator stem and through the keg handle and I'm good to go.

Edited by Kremer, 11 February 2010 - 11:57 AM.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64114 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

I have one but haven't used it yet. Before I bought it I did a calculation on how much I beer I could push at about 8-9 psi and I came out with about two cartridges per corny.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

I just bought one of these. You need a fitting with a 1/4" male thread to attach it. So make sure you irder that with it if you have barbed attachments. That or you will need a 1/4" barb/straight 1/4" thread adapter with a small section of tubing.Just an FYI.Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users