7 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

Some stuff I know is fairly typical (most hoppy american ales). I've also had a dry hopped stout which was very good. What other styles dry hop well? Do people dry hop english style ales (ESB, IPA, etc.)?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

Some stuff I know is fairly typical (most hoppy american ales). I've also had a dry hopped stout which was very good. What other styles dry hop well? Do people dry hop english style ales (ESB, IPA, etc.)?

Zym. I am beginning to believe that dry hopping really would not hurt most any beers. I am not saying to Dry Hop the heck out of a Munich Dunkel but light Dry Hopping I don't think would hurt most styles. I would say if you are wondering if you should DH a beer look up the style on the BJCP website and see what they say for aroma and whether its according to style. I also feel that as you see said often this is homebrewing and you are the brewer you can DH any beer you want. While yes I know the American Ales are often DHed I am planning to DH the English Pale ale and IPA that I am going to be brewing. I am planning to dry hop the Nut Brown Ale that I have in secondary. Dry hopping can really make for a great experience as someone raises a pint to be consumed.

#3 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

Yes, the English styles will dry hop well. I'll dryhop just about anything, except maybe Belgians. Even then, I did DH a Belgian pale with Tetts a while back and it turned out fantastic. Choosing the right hop and amount are the key, obviously. And I agree with NC, if the style guidelines tell you not to DH it, pitch the guidelines. Rules are meant to be broken!

#4 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Well I always dry hop every IPA i make be it american or english. My favorite english hop for DH is EKG and Target.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

Well I always dry hop every IPA i make be it american or english. My favorite english hop for DH is EKG and Target.

at the same time or individually or either?

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I would dry hop english style ales, i beleive they dry-hopped before americans did. I dry-hop anything that needs more aromas.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

I would dry hop english style ales, i beleive they dry-hopped before americans did. I dry-hop anything that needs more aromas.

I'll +1 this, I love dry hops. Some styles are more lent to it than others, but especially all the Pale ale Styles.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

I only dry hop APA or IPAs and that made a big difference with those beers. Other than that I brew a lot of Porters and Scottish Ales and have never considered dry hopping them. I have a belgian triple that is aging and I was thinking of hitting that with something as a test but I'm not sure what the use, probably a nobel hop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users