7 replies to this topic

#1 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

Are there any concerns with using mild unscented dish soap oxyclean free to clean the insides of 2 corny kegs? I have read that some cleaners will cause pitting; if left to sit in a keg for too long.My questions are...1. Is mild unscented dish soap safe to use?2. What cleaners are recommended for cleaning kegs? (PBW, Oxyclean)3. How long is it safe to expose kegs to these cleaners? (hour, day, week, month)4. I currently use 5 star to sanitize. Are there any negative effects to using this for kegging?5. Will 5 star cause any pitting? Can you store 5 star in a keg and for how long?Any other practical advice is appreciated.Thanks.

#2 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Are there any concerns with using mild unscented dish soap oxyclean free to clean the insides of 2 corny kegs? I have read that some cleaners will cause pitting; if left to sit in a keg for too long.My questions are...1. Is mild unscented dish soap safe to use? in case of Emergency only.....2. What cleaners are recommended for cleaning kegs? (PBW, Oxyclean) Both are good. I tend to use Oxi after the keg blows out and has been rinsed out with the hose. put a bit of Oxi in. add a bit of water put under pressure shake like mad and let sit for a few hours while you drink a beer. bleed pressure dump rinse with water a few times. then add the pbw or star san or iodiphore to sanitize . close up and be ready to go for next filling.3. How long is it safe to expose kegs to these cleaners? (hour, day, week, month) i have left oxi in for as long as a week. and star san and pbw in for days. other wise the kegs are empty 4. I currently use 5 star to sanitize. Are there any negative effects to using this for kegging? is that star san.if not than never used it.5. Will 5 star cause any pitting? Can you store 5 star in a keg and for how long? if star san yes you can.Any other practical advice is appreciated.Thanks.

#3 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Ok, I'll bite. Why can't I use dish soap?And yes I was referring to star stan. I forget that they make other products in some crazy scheme to make a profit...<_<

#4 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

dish soap does not rinse easily.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

Are there any concerns with using mild unscented dish soap oxyclean free to clean the insides of 2 corny kegs? I have read that some cleaners will cause pitting; if left to sit in a keg for too long.My questions are...1. Is mild unscented dish soap safe to use?2. What cleaners are recommended for cleaning kegs? (PBW, Oxyclean)3. How long is it safe to expose kegs to these cleaners? (hour, day, week, month)4. I currently use 5 star to sanitize. Are there any negative effects to using this for kegging?5. Will 5 star cause any pitting? Can you store 5 star in a keg and for how long?Any other practical advice is appreciated.Thanks.

I use oxiclean free and like it. Sometimes I mix a little TSP in for the extra dirty kegs. I usually soak the kegs at least overnight but never long than a couple of days in this. Starsan is great for kegging. I'm not sure how long you can leave it in there but I'm guessing a couple days wouldn't be a big deal.

#6 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

I only use PBW for the kegs (and other pieces of equipment) that really need it. Usually hot water gets rid of most debri, especially after the keg is clean. If this is the first time working with the keg, then an overnight soak in hot PBW may be in order.I use a spare keg to store my starsan for months without issue. If the cleaner were bleach, then there would be problems, but starsan shouldn't have any issues.If it is in your budget, I would say to go ahead and purchase the more expensive PBW (I bought mine in bulk in a group grain purchase from north country malt years go, and still have much of it left). If you want to reuse your starsan (and I do recommend that you do), you will want to get some simple pH strips to make sure your pH is below 3.Also, bar keeper's friend is an amazing cleaner for those times that even PBW can't get rid of something in a timely manner.

#7 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Kegs come out pretty clean if you rinse them thoroughly with hot water, no real need for dish soap. A soak in oxiclean overnight will take care of any residual deposits left after the hot water rinse. No need to expose any longer than that, though I've let a keg sit with oxiclean for a week with no ill effects. Star San on the kegs does a great job and you can just transfer it under pressure to your next keg or push it through you beer lines to clean them out, either way, you've now got a sanitized and CO2 purged keg ready for beer.

#8 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11681 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

Pitting usually requires Cl and oxygen. Avoid this combo and you should be ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users