- - - - -

IPA w/ Irish ale Yeast

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

I am entering a competition soon that WILL NOT be BJCP so no normal guidelines apply. Its simply, the best tasting recipe wins the comp. So that being said, I have a fresh Irish ale yeast thats ready, however the recipe I intend on brewing will be a English IPA of sorts with heavy late additions and EKG dry hopping. My question is- has anyone out there ever used the irish yeast for an IPA and what characteristics can I expect when using this yeast with a heavily hopped recipe?

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16528 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

I doubt the Irish will attenuate enough for a IpA...just my 2cents.

#3 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

I doubt the Irish will attenuate enough for a IpA...just my 2cents.

This maybe true, but on white labs website it says that you can use this strain for imperial IPAs. I just want to know if anybody had any experience with this strain and this particular style.

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

If it sounds good to you, I say give it a try. I doubt you will make bad beer.Consider BlKtRe's comment and give throw in some extra hops to compensate for lowered attenuation.What is the worse that can happen? You will make a really hoppy IPA? Yeah that would be a big bummer. <_< zymot

#5 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

I seem to remember using Irish Ale yeast for an IPA before, but I have no memory of what it turned out like. Which means it wasn't awful, but it most likely wasn't fantastic either. One thing you can do to compensate for lower attenuation is to use ~10% sugar in your recipe. The sugar will ferment out completely, leaving the beer a bit drier than it would be if you used 100% malt. Also mash a bit lower, ~148-150F (or even better do a step mash at 140F and 150F). We do that in our IIPA (as does Vinnie in his Pliny the Elder), and we get ~85% attenuation with one of our regular house yeasts that's listed at 73-80%.

#6 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

I would take sub in some sugar for base malt, and mash pretty low.Make sure you ferment cool as well (63-65 F beer temp). That strain is pretty fruity above that...

#7 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

I seem to remember using Irish Ale yeast for an IPA before, but I have no memory of what it turned out like. Which means it wasn't awful, but it most likely wasn't fantastic either. One thing you can do to compensate for lower attenuation is to use ~10% sugar in your recipe. The sugar will ferment out completely, leaving the beer a bit drier than it would be if you used 100% malt. Also mash a bit lower, ~148-150F (or even better do a step mash at 140F and 150F). We do that in our IIPA (as does Vinnie in his Pliny the Elder), and we get ~85% attenuation with one of our regular house yeasts that's listed at 73-80%.

I'll second this. I prefer to use lower attenuating yeast in my IPAs but I compensate for it by mashing low, raising my IBU's slightly, boosting the gravity with honey or sugar and pitching a ton of yeast. While it's more work than say pitching some US-5 and calling it a day, I feel that this adds a little complexity and backbone to the beer.

#8 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I love the idea of step mashing,however I dont have the capability to step mash unless I use decoctions and my mash tun is a 10 gallon cooler. The rules are it has to be a single mash infusion. I guess I can use some corn sugar in this recipe, it sounds like good advice to let it dry out a little more. I really don't want this beer to under-attenuate,seeing that it is an IPA. most of my mashes are lower in the 148-152 range. I do have a vial of WLP005 British Ale yeast. Would this be a better choice??

#9 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

I'd say it dpends most how serious you are about this competetion.. if ur really serious..maybe you should brew something that ur not sure how the outcome will be...maybe you should brew something ur more sure about..if u just wanna have fun, go for it!

#10 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

I'd say it dpends most how serious you are about this competetion.. if ur really serious..maybe you should brew something that ur not sure how the outcome will be...maybe you should brew something ur more sure about..if u just wanna have fun, go for it!

Well my original recipe used S-04. I dont have any this time around so I guess I'm using this yeast cake out of convenience. Well I say F- it I'll brew it tomorrow with the Irish ale yeast and see what we get. :facepalm: I will add some sugar as suggested to get the gravity down further.

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

I dont have any this time around so I guess I'm using this yeast cake out of convenience.

Make sure you don't use the whole yeast cake, only use what you need. Overpitching can be almost as bad as underpitching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users