Photo
- - - - -

Buying bulk hops...how much are they running?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64060 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Who out there is selling bulk hops, and how are the price breaks?You can get 1lb bags at most HBS's, but for 5lbs or more the options seem much more limited. HopUnion/North Country Malt? It looks like North Country Malt steps up to 11lb bags for the next price break. But I haven't seen what the prices are.Anyone know what I could expect for pricing at these quantities?

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

Did you try Fresh Hops or Hops Direct? Looks to be about $20-$30 a #

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

You can get decent hops from E-Bay. If you bid correctly (with shipping included), I have gotten a pound for $20. My mistake was that I ordered a pound of Mt. Hood, which is exactly the breed that is in its second year out in my yard. I guess I'll be brewing with Mt. Hood for a while! Seriously though... check out E-Bay and just type in Hops.

#4 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

You can get decent hops from E-Bay. If you bid correctly (with shipping included), I have gotten a pound for $20. My mistake was that I ordered a pound of Mt. Hood, which is exactly the breed that is in its second year out in my yard. I guess I'll be brewing with Mt. Hood for a while! Seriously though... check out E-Bay and just type in Hops.

sounds like Ken's Memory Lapse Pale Ale is at hand. hahaha

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

sounds like Ken's Memory Lapse Pale Ale is at hand. hahaha

I'll admit that I have heard MANY (dare I say EVERYONE?) claim to have made, enjoyed and remade this brew. I must admit that I have not YET made it. If it is a Mt. Hood heavy recipe, then I should probably just submit. Let me see... I just kicked my keg of Kolsch yesterday and am probably 1/3 the way through a keg of IPA. I've got a 2nd keg of IPA sitting in the wings and just brewed a Fat Tire. Am planning on hooking up the Fat Tire before the 2nd IPA (who want's two of the same, right?). So... I'm thinking I can put together a batch of the MLPA as the keg of IPA is about to kick. But... I wanted to bump this thread back to the top because I think we all want to explore bulk hop buying and what a reasonable price is. FWIW, a pound of some hop varieties on E-Bay do go for more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users