#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

So i am picking up an Apple taste i was not wishing in the red ale. First time for this. New yeast , two packets of safale 05.Waited 14 days fermentation was definitely done. Finished at 1.012.Tasted great when i racked off the yeast. I think it most likely is the beer, but it could be the keg also. I finished A dark beer yesterday and changed directly over to the red ale. I feel guilt now not sanitizing the line and tap, but am leaning toward the beer. Palmer's book says its a young beer, i had it in the secondary for a week. And kegged it only four days ago at 10 psi. Fementation never got over 66 degrees either.My plan is too just wait and see if it gets worse with carbonation or not. No other flavors, just picking up a light apple taste. Any thoughts ? thanks for any and all input. :)

Edited by Kegdude, 26 January 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

maybe Acetaldehyde...first one on the list...what was your ferment temp?Let it age it should come out....I have had some though most notably with S-04 and Wyeast 1010 that never really left...https://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Got that Budweiser taste, eh? Acetaldehyde tastes like green apples.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:15 AM

I have had this but almost exclusively from lager yeast, not ale yeast. I have used US05 a few times and although I don't care for it, it never produces apple for me. There are a couple of yeast descriptions for some lagers that actually state "tart" or "apple". In my experience, the flavor has not gotten worse, but it never left either. But I would still let it age a bit a see what happens. DBS, he mentioned that his primary temp never went above 66° so it sounds like we could rule out a warm fermentation. Keep us posted... maybe it will improve with some time. Good luck.

#5 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

This is the third account recently of US-05 and acetaldehyde. Here's my troubled experience.Hope this ages out for you.

#6 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

Could be poor oxygenation as well, what is your technique?

#7 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

This is the third account recently of US-05 and acetaldehyde. Here's my troubled experience.Hope this ages out for you.

Wow that is interesting. I have made 105 batches now, Used safale 05 on about 95 or so of them and never had this. I do have two beers in fermentors now that i split the yeast and used for the them also. Fermentation was violent on the first one(13 days ago) and the second one is still going strong(six days today).I have not checked on either of them , as far as finished,flavors,etc...(thirsty posted)Could be poor oxygenation as well, what is your technique?I use a drill aeration , usually 5-8 minutes. I know its primitive but i don't beleive thats my culprit.

#8 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

Palmer says the beer is young? I don't follow that, unless by young he means still fermenting. I take daily gravity readings and manage two very different yeast strains and you can taste acetaldehyde all the way to the last day of fermentation with both strains. I've noticed a lot of factors can prevent acetaldehyde from fully converting. Low pitching rate, low aeration, too cool of temps for the yeast especially if temps drop near the end of fermentation. Maybe something during rehydration stressed the yeast. It doesn't age out, unfortunately. It's also possible that it could be a cidery/vinegar flavor from bacteria. Don't underestimate how easy it is to infect a batch!

#9 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:59 AM

I had that in one 2l carbonator bottle.Cornie was OK though.Turns out I had a cider in there before and didn't clean it well enough.:mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users