#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

I got gifted a couple old kegs from a now defunct brewery and I'm wondering what is the best way to remove the old wooden bungs? I want to replace them with silicone bungs so I can use them as primaries, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer but if you read the thread title fast it seems like something else...

#3 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

I remember a party when I was younger, that someone went for a 3rd and 4th keg, and one of them was the side bung, and we had no tapper for it.My very Irish, and very drunk buddy, was not to be deterred from getting in to the bubbly swill inside, so he laid the keg on its side, and took a hammer to the bung, and drove it into the keg, COVERING ALL IN THE ROOM WITH BEER, WHICH DEFLECTED OFF THE CEILING.I would hazard a guess that a screw-in automotive dent puller would work for getting it out.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

I got gifted a couple old kegs from a now defunct brewery and I'm wondering what is the best way to remove the old wooden bungs? I want to replace them with silicone bungs so I can use them as primaries, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

damn, the Joy of homebrewing actually had a section on doing this, but I havn't seen my copy in a while. That was helpful eh.. sorry

#5 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

damn, the Joy of homebrewing actually had a section on doing this, but I havn't seen my copy in a while. That was helpful eh.. sorry

actually about as helpful as the book, I checked and it doesn't have any useful info. I say just depressurize and get out the hammer. either that or an oversize corkscrew

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

actually about as helpful as the book, I checked and it doesn't have any useful info. I say just depressurize and get out the hammer. either that or an oversize corkscrew

I just checked this as well. I think I might sink a big lag bolt into it and try to use 2 vicegrips to pull it out.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

I just checked this as well. I think I might sink a big lag bolt into it and try to use 2 vicegrips to pull it out.

you might have better luck if you can get a scre into it and use a slide hammer. a lag bolt seems like it would probably swell the plug bigger

#8 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

I would drill a big ol' hole in the bung...Large enough to fit a narrow jig saw blade.With the blade attached to the jig saw, make 4 or 5 equidistant cuts from center toalmost touch the S Steel.Now you can break it out with a hammer and wood chisel.Any pieces that fall inside will be able to be easily retrieved.

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

I would drill a big ol' hole in the bung...Large enough to fit a narrow jig saw blade.With the blade attached to the jig saw, make 4 or 5 equidistant cuts from center toalmost touch the S Steel.Now you can break it out with a hammer and wood chisel.Any pieces that fall inside will be able to be easily retrieved.

I ended up doing basically this, but with hand tools since I did not want to risk compromising the metal on the keg. It worked pretty well. I used a chisel to pull out most of the material of the bung to reduce the risk of a big piece falling in that I may have a hard time getting out by hand. Thanks all. Now I just need to clean and polish these bad boys and get the bungs and stoppers to convert them into nice primaries.

#10 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Didn't see this thread until now. Two ways we use at the brewery. First depressurize (kind of important if you don't want a face full of old beer). Then either drill a couple of holes in the bung and use a strong screw driver to pry the bung out, or just use the screw driver to pry it out without the drilling. I always thought the drilling method was easier, but the young buck at the brewery likes the pry method.

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer but if you read the thread title fast it seems like something else...

LOL, on the home page under the last post info it reads:"removing a wood bung from a ss...":)

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64060 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

LOL, on the home page under the last post info it reads:"removing a wood bung from a ss..." :)

:rolf:

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64060 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

:) Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users