Photo
- - - - -

Any other Hoosiers in the Woodford Reserve Cup?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

This is from my local brewclub's web site- Michiana Grain & Extract Association or MEGA:

Hey all,Andy and I have been in contact with Anita Johnson of Great Fermentations and Bob Ostrander of the State Fair Brewers Cup who are working with John Kruse of Brown Forman to get used-once Woodford Reserve barrels to Indiana Homebrew Clubs for a club competition at the Indiana State Fair Brewers Cup. Here's what we're planning.---Each participating club will get a 53-gallon wooden barrel. There is no charge. Brown Forman is donating the barrels.---Your club will probably have a big-brew day to make one batch of beer - your choice of style. The cask, of course, is to be used for barrel aging. ---No, you don't get the grain or hops donated also.---Each club will submit one entry (late June) to the Indiana State Fair Brewers Cup in a special category to compete for the Woodford Reserve Cup. ---This competition will be judged in category 22C - Wood-Aged Beer. It will include "base styles where barrel-aging is a fundamental requirement for the style (e.g., Flanders Red, Lambic, etc.)."---This competition will be judged by out-of-state judges. ---Your club gets to keep the cask, of course. ---We need you to bring a 5-gal corny keg of your entry beer to the Brewers Cup (early July) for people to sample during the dinner and awards ceremony (and possibly other State Fair receptions). The casks will be delivered by Brown Forman to the State Fairgrounds on January 30th, 2010 at the B.I.G. Winterfest. - 11 clubs are participating

I was just wondering if anyone else here is brewing something for this comp. About a dozen MEGA members are doing ~6 gallons each on our own equipment and then getting together at the end of February to get it into the barrel for aging. We'll be taking the comp. entry out and keeping a corny of this for the club and the remainder will be split up by the brewers involved. So, any other BB's in this? BrewerGeorge you're from Indy aren't you & that would make Great Fermentations your LHBS??Posted Image Beach

#2 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hey Beach.you know Me, Steve and I are in already. :) this is going to be great.

#3 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hey Beach.you know Me, Steve and I are in already. Posted Image this is going to be great.

Yep, I knew you guys were in. I'm planning on brewing this Sunday, I picked up some WLP028 at QW&A yesterday & imma get it on the stirplate today.Posted Image Beach

#4 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Howdy, My name is Bob G, I'm the president of MASH, Mad Anthony Serious Homebrewers from Fort Wayne, and we are participating in the Woodford Cup. We have 16 members that brewed 60 gallons last Saturday. Funny thing is that we just got another barrel for brewing and bam! now wew have two. We're looking forward to meeting up with others from Indiana clubs at the State Fair. Cheers, Bob mashfortwayne.com

#5 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

Howdy,My name is Bob G, I'm the president of MASH, Mad Anthony Serious Homebrewers from Fort Wayne, and we are participating in the Woodford Cup.We have 16 members that brewed 60 gallons last Saturday. Funny thing is that we just got another barrel for brewing and bam! now wew have two. We're looking forward to meeting up with others from Indiana clubs at the State Fair.Cheers,Bobmashfortwayne.com

Hey Bob, Good luck with your beer. I was beginning to wonder if gumballhead and I were the only ones here that were in on this comp. I like the club name BTW. May see you at the fair.Posted Image Beach

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

This is from my local brewclub's web site- Michiana Grain & Extract Association or MEGA

:mellow::unsure:

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:25 AM

This is from my local brewclub's web site- Michiana Extract & Grain Association or MEGA:

FTFMyselfPosted Image

#8 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

Thanks and good luck to you.

#9 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Awe Yeah!https://hoosierbeerg...gle Feedfetcher

#10 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hey Bob,I hear Winterfest was a great time; I'm sorry I missed it. I understand MASH had a table there & was handing out samples. We're already discussing a MEGA table for next year. We unloaded our barrel this morning....totally stoked about this beer.Posted Image Beach

#11 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

I wasn't able to make it but I think four of our members went. Mad Anthony's Brewing was there. Our club is seperate from them other than we meet at the brewpub. Next year I'm definately going. I may have to take my own porta-jon though. Ha! Bob

#12 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:40 AM

Wow. Last night I finally got an upclose look and smell of our Woodford Barrel. It's beautiful and in very good condition, so boozy. yumm. Prost

#13 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

I didn't sniff ours, but it sure is pretty. Posted Image Beach

#14 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

Do yourself a favor, sniff the bunghole! haha! It looks like we're racking into our barrel on Monday. I can't wait. Bob

#15 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

Do yourself a favor, sniff the bunghole! haha!It looks like we're racking into our barrel on Monday. I can't wait.Bob

I'll do that Bob Posted Image we're shooting for the 28th of this month to rack into the barrel. What did you guys make. We did a Wee Heavy.Beach

#16 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

The same. I've heard that there's a Stout, another Wee (likely yours), an Old Ale and I think a Porter being made so far. I'll post more as I find out. We're already starting talks about the next beer to be put into wood. Bob

#17 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:27 AM

Hey Beach, Update. We got our barrel on the rack, drained a couple of ounces to sample and got the beer racked into the barrel. Oh man, even the char laden sample was terrific. These are going to be some great beers! Cheers, Bob

#18 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to racking day. I didn't think about draining any bourbon out, good tip. I hope I can make the trip to the comp to try all of the barrel brews.Posted Image Beach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users