#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

I like to bottle at least some of every batch of my meads in interesting glassware. This time around I found these 500ml flint quadra bottles for my vanilla cinnamon metheglin. Posted ImageIt's a still mead and I was corking them with synthetic #9's. I just put the cork in the 5th one when the first one in line goes POP glug glug glug glug. Posted ImageApparently these bottles can't handle ANY pressure, even the amount generated from corking them. I ended up uncorking the other 4 as fast and carefully as possible before I lost any more and going with beer bottles for the rest. I know it's not new news but definitely worth thinking about any time you pick out a different bottle.

#2 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

try it with water and see if more break. the bottles are useless (to brewing) anyway. I am thinking that maybe there was a defect in the bottle that broke. Wear your goggles. (Helmet optional for this experiment)

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

try it with water and see if more break. the bottles are useless (to brewing) anyway. I am thinking that maybe there was a defect in the bottle that broke. Wear your goggles. (Helmet optional for this experiment)

The thought did cross my mind that it was a defect but I wasn't willing to risk it with my mead. I might give that a shot and see if more pop. Safety glasses and gloves non optional!

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:08 AM

:smilielol: :smilielol: :P

+1If it wasn't for the glass slivers from the busted bottle I would have licked it off the concrete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users