#1 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

I have an AG recipe for a scottish ale (similar to this one). It tastes pretty good in the primary, and expect this to be a good beer. I'd like to put another wort right onto the yeast after I transfer this beer out of the primary. One thought was to simply repeat the recipe above, but add some liquid malt extract and possibly candi sugar to the boil pot, and some more hops to balance the extra malt. I haven't run the calculations yet, but I figure the Wyeast 1728 yeast can tolerate up to around 12% alcohol. Does this sound like a good idea? Any suggestions regarding how much liquid malt syrup? I don't really care about being true to a style...I just want to make a strong winter warmer ale! :D

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

I think it is a good idea to try. I had visions of maybe trying something like that as well back in December, but instead I just made the same 80/- recipe twice. I am looking at finally making a real big beer but I cannot decide on RIS, IIPA or something like what you are doing.

#3 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

I think it is a good idea to try. I had visions of maybe trying something like that as well back in December, but instead I just made the same 80/- recipe twice. I am looking at finally making a real big beer but I cannot decide on RIS, IIPA or something like what you are doing.

If I do it, it will be in 2 weeks or so. I don't have a big mash tun, so I figure the easy way to boost fermentables would be to put the extract right into the boil pot. Also, having a monster yeast population would be good for this much sugar. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#4 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

If I do it, it will be in 2 weeks or so. I don't have a big mash tun, so I figure the easy way to boost fermentables would be to put the extract right into the boil pot. Also, having a monster yeast population would be good for this much sugar. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'll be looking for an update. I'm an all grain brewer now and typically make beers in the 1.050 - 1.065 range. I just found 7-1/2 lbs of LME in the freezer that I will use for my big beer. I plan the brew normally and add the LME in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

1724 can be pushed to 12% but in my experience I have never gotten it that high. Funny you linked that recipe as the one I did was a version of Fred Bonjour's Kilt Lifter. Despite building a BIG starter it stalled out and left me around 9% ABV with an FG around 1.026 and a cloying sweetness I didn't like at all. If I were to do it again I'd do exactly as you suggested and get some of the fermentables from candi sugar to get better attenuation.Just my experience but I wouldn't trust that yeast to get to 12% without some serious effort.

#6 thool

thool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

1724 can be pushed to 12% but in my experience I have never gotten it that high. Funny you linked that recipe as the one I did was a version of Fred Bonjour's Kilt Lifter. Despite building a BIG starter it stalled out and left me around 9% ABV with an FG around 1.026 and a cloying sweetness I didn't like at all. If I were to do it again I'd do exactly as you suggested and get some of the fermentables from candi sugar to get better attenuation. Just my experience but I wouldn't trust that yeast to get to 12% without some serious effort.

Yikes! (But did you mean 1728?) Well, I just kegged it today. Got down to 1014, which is pretty much on target for the style. I think the alc came in at 3.36%. Again, pretty good for the style. Tastes real good! Going light on the carb. Just a question: How can I calculate how much liquid malt extract to add in order to get close to 12%? I think I'd have to take a boil pot reading to get total gravity units (Daniels) and then add the extract a little at a time until I reach a target x. I suppose I could solve for x: (x - 1.015) * 105 = 12 for 12 percent alcohol, or something like that. I have a MONSTER sample of yeast in a mason jar from the current batch. I may go with some candi sugar, maybe a pound, and then add liquid light malt extract. I think I'll have enough color/flavor from the grains.

Edited by JoePolvino, 21 January 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Joe: I entered your original recipe (with the 7½ lbs of 2-row, 1 lb victory, etc.) into the calculator at Tastybrew.com and then I added light malt extract to the recipe to see where it would go. I entered it as an AG and also as a partial mash to see if there was a difference. It shows that you need A LOT of extract to get that recipe to 10-12%, but it doesn't seem right to me for some reason. It came out like this... Your recipe plus... 8 lbs of liquid extract = 9.9% ABv 9 lbs lme = 10.6% 10 lbs lme = 11.2% 11 lbs lme = 11.9% That's a big beer, alright. Also, the FG came to about 1.026 which would be pretty sweet.

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

You're right I did mean 1728. Brain fart :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users